• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Another reason why I like non-antilock brakes

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Nothing conveys the idea to another driver than they just screwed up bad and almost caused a wreck like the sound of locked up tires on dry pavement...it just carries that sense of imminent collision in a way no horn can match.

No collision but damn it was close.

FritzTKatt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey buddy, this is new jersey... you're preachin' to the choir lol

ianyboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
Nonthing as useless as ABS. I actually removed my ABS relay on my 2011

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
All of the abs systems are not tarred with the same brush, but I have to admit most of them are rubbish.

ianyboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
actually, on my truck, the abs relay removal was more due to the over-agressive traction control more than anything else

96Indyram

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8, 2.9
Transmission
Manual
LOL I agree. There is nothing like hearing the long loud screech of tires coming up behind you. It gives you enough time to lean back and hold on while looking up in the rearview mirror...waiting for the sound of impact. Usually seeing the guys eyes behind you the size of pancakes.
The ABS cars....you never hear it coming..like a sneak attack.

I had a few old cars that had ABS...as in " ACTIVE BODY SLIPPAGE". they was so rusty if I slammed on the breaks and actually hit something I think the whole body would have kept moving as the frame stopped.

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
The ABS cars....you never hear it coming..like a sneak attack.
LOL, sneak attack, I love it, lol

That is so true tho...

Used to be "and I heard the sounds of tires screaming and BAAAM" now it is just "BAAAM"

96Indyram

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8, 2.9
Transmission
Manual
LOL, sneak attack, I love it, lol

That is so true tho...

Used to be "and I heard the sounds of tires screaming and BAAAM" now it is just "BAAAM"
Look at the bright side... saves time filling out the accident report..less words on describing the wreck. :icon_thumby:

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Its even more of a wake up call as you are sliding towards someone that pulled out in front of you as you slide into the front fender of their brand new car they probably had no business buying not to mention had no business even driving in the first place at their age. All I was thinking at that time as I had all 4 wheels locked up was we may just go right over the hood of their little POS car. I think if my Dodge Ram was lifted I probably would have, and may have actually not had any damage to my truck, but then again could have possibly rolled the truck on its side in the process though.

The only vehicle I've had that the ABS system actually worked really well in was my 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and I guess I should say my 08 Toyota Tundra (its just far too intrusive at times), all my other vehicles that had ABS were junk. My first vehicle was a 1984 Ford Ranger 4x2. No traction control, no ABS, no stability control, and no 4WD. Never had snow tires for it, and never had a problem in snow/ice with it either. The safety devices just seem to make people feel invisible...my car has ABS, Traction, Stability, and Rollover control with 20 air-bags, I can drive 100mph on this sheet of ice because I have AWD or 4WD.

People just don't pay attention anymore. Been thinking about installing a locomotive air horn on the Bronco 2.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals