• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Do you take a yearly vacation?

Do you take a family vacation each year?

• Yes

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 11.1%
  • I did with my family when I was young, but I don't as an adult

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • I take one every other year

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • I just take one once every few years

Votes: 4 14.8%

• Total voters

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
My wife and I were talking about family vacations, and whether it's normal for families to take a yearly vacation. It doesn't have to be to some vacation resort. It could be camping, going out of state to Grandmas, or whatever.

Do you take a family vacation each year?

You can feel free to elaborate in a post if you want.

For me growing up in Ohio, we went to visit my grandmother in Virginia for a week each summer. In my early teens, my parents had a camper at a campground we went to on the weekends.

As an adult, I usually go somewhere for a few days once a year just to get away.

Last edited:

96Indyram

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8, 2.9
Transmission
Manual
I did as a kid, but as time went on the times got harder and life changed.
Did go fishing or hunting or camping almost every weekend with my parents growing up, but that changed with their health.

I would love to be able to use my vacation time...for a actual vacation!
It usually gets ate up using a day here..and a day there, for odd ball things.
Kids school programs, or hospital visits..etc.

With the economy the way it is, just trying to keep your head above water with bills, food on the table, vehicle repairs, etc... It don't leave alot of free $$$ to do anything.
Then the price of gas, food, and lodging makes it very hard for the average working joe and family to go anywhere.

Until things turn around, I don't see me loading up the kids in the family truckster and heading to wally world anytime soon.
Just try and do things locally when I can.

Road Angels

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
We only take day vacations, gone in the early morning back in the evening, we found we would spend a ton of money on a weeks vacation only wanting to get back home in a couple of days, i live in the mountains and people come thru town to go camping a few miles away, sking fishing and boating are 10 minutes away

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I have almost the same story as 96Indyram except some times when I was younger we would go to my grandparents cabin.

I have no place to go and no money to get there.

MPRanger

Law Enforcement
U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
The wife and I usually try to get away for a weekend. We'll go to her aunt's house in St. Louis or her cousin's house in KCMO. Only money we spend is the gas to get there and with her car getting 25-30 MPG the cost isn't to bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flash Gordan

Savior of the Universe!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
The family and I head down to OBX every year for a week. We go down with a bunch of good friends and rent a huge house for the week, splitting the costs. This year we rented a house in Corolla. About a mile south from the beach access where you can drive out on the beach and see the wild horses. Hopefully I'll have my truck running by then.

Last edited:

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
If I had to wait a full year or more for an official vacation, I'd go nuts and soil my britches. My old man traveled with the fam many times a year, to see relatives, visit this or that, or hell, just to hit the road. He was a deep water naval combat vet who served in Korea, and a railroad guy, too. I make so many road trips a year for this or that, there's no way I could count one as an official vacation...pack the tipi and let's go

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Went on vacations at least once a year with the family when I was a kid. My parents often set up vacations where it could be a bit of a learning experience too and had us do a folder on the trip. Still have all those too. Went to places like Gettysburg, Baltimore, Washington DC, Detroit (back when it was still a relatively safe place to visit!), etc. Always enjoyed it as a kid.

As an adult, I've wanted to take trips several times and even started planning a few, but money or time always was wanting. I did end up going on a lil vacation last year though, my buddy did a bachelor party so it was a three day weekend of boats, beer and bros. Good times.... we only got kicked out of one bar, lol.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Monthly vacations fo us!!!

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
No vacations needed! Being retired, every day is a vacation and every meal is a feast.

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Saaal-ute Doofy!

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
No I work 6 days a week, my only day off is spent trying to work on the to do list from the rest of the week.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Family... back when we all lived together we'd get away for a long weekend at least yearly sometime more often. Now that my sister and I are grown it doesn't happen much at all. She's married and I've got my own place out in the county and it's hard to get everyone's schedule to jive.

I still try to get away at least yearly, preferably every few months, but it's just me so that really don't count as a "family" vacation.

Need to start going more. Right now I get 6 hours of annual leave every two weeks, plus a few hours at the end of the year, that's 160 hours or 4 weeks a year. In about 5 years if I stay here it'll be bumped up to 8 hours. We're able to carry up to 240 hours into the next year so one could plan a real nice vacation if they wanted to. That's in addition to the 13 days of sick leave each year, there's no limit to how much sick leave you can carry over. Unfortunately my bosses make me sick a lot so I haven't been able to build up much of that.

LIMA BEAN

TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well I live in Alaska so its my paradise and seen most of the sights in the lower 48. Been to Europe, UK, South america, Asia, former/current Solviet Union/Russia, far flung Pacific Islands, Australia, New Zealand <(A+) and few other crap hole places not worth mentioning. It's a stone cold fact that traveling to other countries is dangerous for Americans especially with children and has been for some time, we have the greatest wonders of nature right here in the US. Scotland is a destination for me, but its more for adults interested in history and in my case also a redhead Highland girl showing me around:D. I would like to take a drive through the Smokey Mountains off season, havn't done that yet. Also remember the US territories like Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, Northern Marianas, Guam, American Samoas where you have a strong consular presence in the event of anything. My vote would be for you to have a great/comfortable/safe vehicle and road trip the US, maby retrace the banner... now thats a grand adventure.:icon_thumby:

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
I'm happy with being able to stay home and work on my truck and not go do everything that others are capable of doing. Already a month behind shedule on my to do list.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals