• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Questions about weber carb conversion

bowtieboy77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1986 ranger with a rebuit 2.3lt engine. I am exempt from emissions so that is not a issue. I just received the weber 32/36 carb and adapter kit complete with brackets, hardware, and air filter and housing and have a few questions.

1. the instructions state the carb requires 3psi maximum fuel pressure. However my stock mechanical pump is rated for 5-7psi. Will I need to install a fuel pressure regulator as it is a non return line system? I have not heard it mentioned before even a few vids on youtube did not mention about it.

2. I have seen a few threads on here that the electric choke requires 6volts and is fed off the back of the alternator. I have not come across any 12volt alts that have a 6volt output that I know of. Again some vids show 12volt off back of alt to choke. I do realize it is to be a ign feed but does not mention 6volt in instructions.

3. Also in the instructions it states I must use the factory linkage plate from my original carb. Problem is the original carb was a aisin and was so trashed it got tossed quite awhile ago. Do I need it or can I fab something up to work?

I am a licensed truck and auto tech so technical experience and fab skills are not a issue. Any help is appreciated.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
1. after many vehicles over many years with carbs and mechanical pumps, I've not seen a carb overwhelmed by a mechanical pump yet. I would just hook it up and see what happens.

2. measure the resistance of the choke heater, then buy a wire wound resister of the same value. wire it in line from the ign wire to the choke and voila, 6 volts to the choke.

3. If you have any fabrication skills at all, the linkage should present no problem at all. Hint, make a mock-up from heavy card, that way you'll only have to make the metal one once.

good luck. keep us posted on your progress.

Kenneth S

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
All you can do is try it, since Webers don't have big float bowls like Holleys do, Webers depend more on fuel volume rather than pressure. The stock pump should have the fuel volume. Another alternative is to use a universal low psi electric fuel pump.

bowtieboy77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the info guys. I called redline weber tech line today and the choke is 12volt which I figured it was. And his suggestion to the fuel pressure regulator was to try it with out and install one if needed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals