• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What's the name of this sensor?

bbbc3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
Lately my truck has had a really low idle when starting. To the point where I have to feather the throttle to keep it running. Once the engine is at operating temperature it runs fine. So I've been trying to adjust the idle and noticed that the sensor that usually touches the throttle cable isn't extended out. I couldn't even pull it out with my hand.

What the actual name of this sensor?

image.jpg

bbbc3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
Great link!! This also addresses my other issue with the truck stalling at redlights when the a/c is on!

Thanks!!

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
It's an idle speed control motor. Replacement part number is E4ZZ-9N825-A.

bbbc3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
Well I'm kinda stumped at the moment. I bought a new idle control motor off amazon and when I hooked it up the nipple did not come out when the truck was started or when the a/c was on.

The part does have a sticker that says made in Mexico and oddly enough the the bolt holes on the mechanism were not threaded!?

Could it be defective? What else is there to trouble shoot? Fuses etc?

image.jpg

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Last edited:

bbbc3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
If I were you, I would have bought this one:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/SA1-FORD-MERCURY-IDLE-SPEED-CONT-ACTUATOR-E4ZF9N825AA-/301411195642?nav=SEARCH

I just checked a spare I have, and the holes aren't threaded either. The bolt will cut threads when the part is installed. The black and red wires control the extension of the motor, the other two are for the sensor. It would be a good idea to do an eec quick test and pinpoint test to see what's going on.
Thanks Andy. This is the one I bought off amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000C81P68/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1437448394&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX200_QL40&keywords=1985+ford+ranger+idle+control&dpPl=1&dpID=31QXPRH086L&ref=plSrch

Also I've tried the EEC IV test on the truck and I can't get a response out of it.

Is this idle control motor controlled by vaccum? Just wondering if a vac line is disconnected?

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Nothing to do with vacuum directly, the computer tells it when to extend.

bbbc3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
Nothing to do with vacuum directly, the computer tells it when to extend.
Maybe a bad computer? I don't know how to trouble shoot this part. I've installed the new part but it still doesn't extend to the throttle cable.. :dunno:

bbbc3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
Anyone else have an idea why my idle control motor isn't working?

When looking at the female plug from the computer end, I used my test light and it shows power in the top left port when the ac is on. The bottom left seems to be a ground. I have no idea what the two right ports are for and what triggers them to come on?

image.jpg

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Did you disconnect the battery for 1/2 an hour the computer may be in limp mode? The idle control motor does several things you may have the idle speed set to high with the stop screw next to the throttl cable. Did you mess with the idle air jets if so turn them in to lightly seated and back out 3 1/2 turns back off on the idle stop scew until it no longer touches the throttle lever then after you connect the battery make sure all the sensers are plugged in. Turn the ignition on and the idle control motor should fully extend. Push the pedal to the floor once and start it up. The computer should control idle speed. If it does wait for the engine to fully warm up then turn the idle stop screw it is called the anti dieses screw on that system. just turn it down to where it almost touches the throttle lever. Then give the engine throttle and the idle control motor should fully retract. Have someone unplug the idle motor and then let off the throttle you want the engine to barely idle 600-650 rpms then plug the idle motor back in and the computer should control the idle speed. Then turn the engine off and the idle control motor should fully extend. Unplug the idle control motor and then start the motor. This is curb idle speed set it around 1200 rpms by adjusting the position of the motor. Lock it down and plug the motor back in and it should again control idle speed. You cannot adjust the idle air jets with the idle control motor plugged in just disconnect the idle motor while ideling and then adjust the two jets under the front of the carb for the highest possible rpms then go back and check the other adjustments. # 1/2 turns out for the idle air jets is the best starting point these motors like it a little rich.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Oh yea the idle control motor will automatically hold idle speed when you turn on the ac at idle speed it keeps idle speed around 750rpms.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals