• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Engine cutting out

bluetlr2001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 v-6
Transmission
Manual
I've got a 96 ranger 3.0 and after driving it about 10 miles it will start cutting out. Like sputtering. U can let out idle and its fine but when u give it gas it tries to die. I can let it set for about an hour and its fine for alittle while. I have hooked a fuel pressure tester today and its showing 30 psi at idle and 40 when I rev it, and no check engine light. Now I haven't tested the pressure when its acting up and I dont want to drive it bc I had to get it towed home last time. But I've has it idling about 30 minutes and its fine. Any suggestions. I'm possibly thinking maybe the fuel pump is getting hot but not sure. I have had to rewire the fuel pump for power the main fuse box had lost power so I had to wire up a relay to run it. But it just started this problem a few months ago and I have let it sit since then.

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My guess would be fuel related also. Have u changed the fuel filter? I'd drive it with the pressure gauge hooked up (tape it to the windsheild) and see what it does when it screws up.

bluetlr2001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 v-6
Transmission
Manual
Yea I changed the filter when it happened hoping that would solve it but no luck. And I done had to return the gauge I had rented but I may go rent it again and try that tomorrow

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Here's something else I thought of, the FP relay doesn't often act intermittently, either it runs or it doesn't- but we've had a few on here that had a bad connection to the FP relay under the power box- those wires that are crimped on to the connectors that the relay plugs into. Its a long shot but all I've got. Watching that fuel pressure when it starts screwing up should tell the tale. If the pressure is low, it has to be the pump, wiring, relay or in some very rare instances, the wiring on the inertia switch has gotten hot and it will act this way... In fact check the inertia. On certain years (around 04 for sure) there was an issue with the wiring at the inertia- happened to one of my better friends. His harness was melted all to hell.

bluetlr2001

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 v-6
Transmission
Manual
Were is the inertia switch on a ranger? Ill check it I didn't notice out next to my ecu when I had to rewire my door poppers but I wasn't looking either ill pop the kick panel off and look. And as far as the factory fp relay I have bypassed it bc it wouldnt get a signal to turn on from the ecu so I wired it to a external relay and put it to ignition control. Dont know if a write melted or the ecu is messed up but either way it worked for a year like that.

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Inertia switch is normally located on the passenger side, behind the kickpanel on the right side forward of the door if that makes sense. Some of the older ones it was passenger side behind the carpet by the firewall.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals