• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

302 carb swap

f150ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
ive been trying to find information about using the stock fuel system on my 89 ranger 2.9 2wd for my 302 swap with carb, i got the truck with a motor that someone tried to replace, and by replace i mean hack everything apart and not do anything right, like try to jb weld broken fuel lines, anyway, what i would like to do is run stainless steel braided lines to the stock fuel lines somehow, i have a fuel pressure regulator with a return. im not sure how i would do this. im hoping it will be easy since my fuel lines are broken and jb weld i want to cut them back and run the braided line to them somehow to retain the stock pump, if i cant then im thinking of getting a fuel cell with a different pump and getting rid of the tank all together, i would like to avoid that right now tho, if anyone can help and possibly has pics that would be appreciated thanks guys.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1989 will have the single electric fuel pump in the gas tank, it can supply enough fuel flow for the 302.
There will be a Fuel Filter in the frame rail near drivers seat area.
That is where you will connect your new fuel line to the "new" fuel filter.
New hose will need Ford style connector on one end that fits fuel filter and fuel pressure regulators connection on the other end.
There is more than one style/size Ford fuel line connector.

The return line will be running right next to the filter, this is a low pressure line so you can cut it and use barbed connector(and clamps) with threaded fitting to splice in new line to go to the fuel pressure regulator, which should be located in the engine bay, IMO.

Electric fuel pumps can be dangerous, they should have at least 2 safety cut offs.
The Inertia switch in the passenger footwell should cut fuel pump power in the event of a sudden stop/crash, or a roll over.
The 2nd safety switch was the computer, which you won't have, it would cut power to fuel pump if engine RPMs dropped below 400, i.e. with broken fuel line engine stops and so does pump.

You can add an oil pressure switch to the current fuel pump relay setup, so if no oil pressure fuel pump shuts off.
Since you are running a carb there will always be fuel to start engine in the float bowl, once started fuel pump comes on.

Last edited:

f150ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year

Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
awesome thanks. i didnt even think about running the braided hose off the filter like that, makes me feel like a noob. i will have the regulator installed on the driver side fender under the hood. as for the return i can just run one fitting to the regulator and on the other side i can just hose clamp to the line and i should be ok with that? or did i mis-interpret what you said? thanks for the help!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals