• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Explorer stuff too Ranger, Front diff. and rear axle to Ranger?

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I know I can swap the rear axle in with changing the axle perches and the shock mounts:icon_welder:. I Got 4.10s now and only running 265/70's. The swap to 3.73 would seem to help mileage a bit and it has plenty of power.
That would get me rear disk brakes and 3.73 gearing, but will the front differential bolt into my Ranger???

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
talking only the IFS/SLA,,,,explorer front diffs changed somewhere around 2002, newer ones are not bolt-in swaps to Rangers.

Last edited:

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You are wanting to sell the Explorer right? If so leave it alone, you'll loose more on the value than you would spend buying the parts at a junkyard later.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Blown:

The front actually one of the easier swaps to do. Donor A. needs to be '95-'01 Explorer; Recipient B. a '98+ Ranger. Dana 35s are identical (I went the other way: 3.73s to 4.10s as I went to 31x10.5R15s from 235/75R15s). Unbolt the driveshaft; separate the upper ball joints, pull out the axles, undo the 3 bolts and drop the axle.* Reverse to reinstall.

For the rear, I needed the rear axle flip from the DJM Suspension lowering kit**. Holes in the axle mount/shock bracket needed a little elongation.** Unbolt driveshaft, unbolt u-bolts, disconnect VSS sensor, disconnect brake lines*. Reverse to reinstall; bleed brakes.***

Rear brakes needed few adapters to make everything work (don't remember exact part numbers..)

*Remember the vent tubes or there will be cursing at some point.

**I had the flip kit as we were lowering a 2wd Ranger and installing the Explorer rear axle in it. DJM Suspension sells just the flip kit for about a Benjamin. We did need to get an additional pair of driver's side Explorer spring/shock mounts; I think that was another Jackson.

***The Explorer didn't get the auxiliary shock on the snout reinstalled (no mounting holes on the Ranger 7.5...). Its a little narrower, but you can't notice just looking at it.

'90-94 Explorers came with drums in back, and lots of people have swapped the newer disc brake axle into their SUVs with no ill effects.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
For the rear brake hydraulics get a right brake soft line for the left side. Run the Rangers brakes to the center like it is now and the bend new hardlines.

i paid $100 for an explorer rear though, not sure if it is worth killing a car for that. Jy's are full of that gen.

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The "X" needs heads and lifters and I do not want to put any more into it.

I could keep a bunch of parts, thinking rotors, pads, rear axle, front diff, wheels, the top rack would go great on a shell, outside temp. sensor and overhead consul with reading lights, stereo head unit and woofer, front axle shafts/cv's and likely more items as I get into it. If I can part the rest for even $700 I will be ahead in my book. I plan on keeping the Ranger long term so parts is good.

Any Ideas of what else I could keep for the Ranger?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Pull the engine and sell it, trans the same.

The Explorer intake (and engine parts in general) is hot right now for foxbody/SN-95 cars.

Axles, wheels, seats, full length console, overhead console...

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Keep:

In addition to those listed: Steering column, airbags.

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks ya'll

Wheels sold first.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals