• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rough idle misfire when started warm

it-broke-again

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 95', 4x4, 5-speed, 4.0l with 308,xxx miles

- I start the truck cold it starts up and runs smooth.
- if I run it for a while then shut off and shortly after, restart it it still runs fine
- if I run it for a while, shut it off, and restart it 15-40 minutes later it kind of pops and lopes but clears up after no more then 30 seconds of running

* I replaced the fuel pump and filter
* I checked compression and it's even across the board
* no codes have been thrown
*only happens on start up

Sent from my XT1028 using Tapatalk

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What did the spark plugs look like?

Start up is usually a Richer mix which can foul a weaker spark plug when warm, it does come back and work as you describe.

IAC(idle air control) Valve is what computer uses to set the idle, idle screws can't work on fuel injection.

When you turn on the key the computer will open the IAC valve all the way, maximum air for starting.
So if you DO NOT touch the gas pedal, then when engine starts RPMs should go up to 1,500+ then drop down fairly fast as computer closes IAC Valve to set "target" idle for engine temp.

Manual trans warm engine target idle is 625-650rpms(AC off), if higher you may have a vacuum leak.
Cold idle is based on temp, usually about 1,100, colder higher, warmer lower

When you start the engine warm does the idle go high then drop down?
If not then clean the IAC Valve.
If IAC valve isn't opening all the way then fuel mix is even Richer, less air, so more likely to get warm start misfires.

If warm engine idle is 700+ RPM then with engine warm and idling unplug the wires on IAC Valve.
Idle should drop to 500 or engine may stall, either is good, it means no vacuum leak, if idle doesn't drop then you have a leak.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals