• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

85-88 2.3 idler pulley bolt, i cant find one.

rab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
merkur
Transmission
Manual
ok i have a 83 ranger that im doing a 2.3 turbo swap into, im converting the v-belt stock xr4ti set-up over to a serpentine belt set-up from a 87 2.3 ranger.

I bought all the pulleys,brackets,etc from a member on here a while back, well the bolt got lost in shipping or I miss placed it.

So with all the being said does anyone know where i can get this bolt at ??, or maybe a nother vehicle that has the same pulley, that would then share the same bolt and washer, or just bolt with a flanged head, again im not sure which it is?

In my brief searching on this subject it looks like there might have been a few different early stock ranger 2.3 serpentine set-ups..

Here is a a pic of the set-up i have,this is not my truck just the best pic i could find on the web.
http://www.ranger-forums.com/attachments/ranger-based-vehicles-104/37941d1332506484-1988-ford-ranger-$1750-018-jpg

Last edited:

rab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
merkur
Transmission
Manual
anyone,no junkyards around me have a 85-88 2.3 ranger left.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
What part/bolt is it you need? In some cases the bolt is used in another application...and if you check the ebchost on-line manual it might even give you the part number from Ford...which may or may not be available still...

I've got a ton of bolts that I was about to toss because they are not being used...if I knew which one it was and I had it I'd ship it to you if you cover shipping...which might not be much at all...so I might even be able to cover that...

What idler pulley bolt in that image do you need...the one between the alternator/power steering and the water pump???

rab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
merkur
Transmission
Manual
What part/bolt is it you need? In some cases the bolt is used in another application...and if you check the ebchost on-line manual it might even give you the part number from Ford...which may or may not be available still...

I've got a ton of bolts that I was about to toss because they are not being used...if I knew which one it was and I had it I'd ship it to you if you cover shipping...which might not be much at all...so I might even be able to cover that...

What idler pulley bolt in that image do you need...the one between the alternator/power steering and the water pump???
I don't know what ebchost is ????
the plastic finned one, the one to the right of the water pump pulley and/or you could say the one to the left of the alternator.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
OK...will have a look for one...

The ebchost is an on-line manual that sometimes has extensive parts listings...depending on the documentation...the link below will get you to the main listing...second one down...follow the information and the provided user ID and password is already there...the next list shows all the available resources and you will find the auto repair reference center beta ...then plug in the information and the guide shows up...

I just went through it and couldn't find that specifically...probably due to it being out of an xr4ti and I was looking at a Ranger 2.3...so just select the vehicle the engine came out of and go from there...

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Last edited:

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
I replaced the whole thing on mine after 'cleaning' the bearings while removing power steering pump leakage. It squeaked and grabbed...
The pulley is available by itself from Rock Auto. If you need the bolt in the center of the finned pulley, good luck, as I could not find one to replace the riveted in place 'axle' for the pulley bearings on mine. To replace, I would have had to grind the end off, and figure a way to thread the hole in the bracket. Ugh.
The idler assembly is not listed anywhere for model year 1985. I cleaned off the grime and dirt I had not cleaned before, and found the FoMoCo part number. Googleing for that, I found a match to a 1987 part.
The idler assembly can be bought from Amazon ... It does not show as a cross to the 85 model year. I got the AC Delco{GM!!} part. Perfect fit.
There is nothing special about the mounting bolts. I think the one in the adjusting slot is a capscrew, with a large head with 'built in' washer. That's about it. From memory.
tom

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Originally attached this to the bottom of previous post...but thought you might be looking for new news...

So, I go out to have a look at what I've got in my parts pile and the first thing I see is the bracket I took off my 96 for the PS and Alternator...with the same or similar pulley sitting right there all rusty and all that...lol

If you want I can get pics and/or measurements and maybe even determine the thread size...the washer/retainer on the bolt looks to be bigger than the one in your picture but it could be an illusion...the bolt length is probably the same between them...and I think I have a picture of mine around...but it isn't too clear...

http://i1179.photobucket.com/albums/...psioc0waw1.jpg

This may not be clear enough...but its the only pic I have (selling the bracket with a ps pump and gearbox)...

rab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
merkur
Transmission
Manual
Mark 88 thanks, I'm going to take the pulley to the junk yard sometime next week and see if a nother ford might have one that is the same, as I know there are no 1st gen 2.3 rangers at my local yards.
if I can't find one,I will contact you and maybe try the one you have out.
if u can post that info on the one you have it would be great also.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
OK...I can measure it up and try to pull the bolt tomorrow...

One of the nice things about Ford is they often use the same or similar parts over and over on newer models. Especially on the 2.3/2.5 series...the 2.5 I have was put in by the previous owner and he just set it up like a 2.3 using the existing wiring...just had a few minor changes to take care of...but the injectors and everything under the hood was plug and play between 96 and 98...

Anyway...I'm sure the bolt was a carry over from previous years...but I had a Mustang alternator/power steering bracket from an earlier model that bolted right on the 88...and it's the same bracket that was on the 96...meaning the 98 also used the same bracket...and idler pulley...

tiracing

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I'm having the same problem finding a bolt, I actually googled and found your post.

I'm a service writer at a small shop and we have been looking for a bolt to replace the "rivet" for an 89 Ford Ranger. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Sorry for kinda hijacking your post, I figured posting another one about the same problem would have been over kill.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
tiracing, take the bracket off, and clean the encrustated oil & dirt. There may be a FoMoCo part # stamped into the bracket. I found the part number and was able to match with a part listed on Amazon. The pulley is available from Rock Auto, but not the 'bolt/rivet', as I found out.
Just get the full assembly if you need new idler bearings or the pulley has started to turn back into coal/oil.
From memory, I am pretty sure the whole thing was noted to 'fit' 86 and up Limas, along with a pile of other vehicles.
I thought about grinding the rivet off, and tapping the bracket, but time and effort were better spent in other areas.
tom

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
oh, yeah, almost forgot about this one...

I went and tried to remove the bolt from the pulley and was thwarted from that effort due to not having good leverage (the bracket is off the engine). I did measure the pulley and mine was 3.5" across the wheel outside surface...the head of the bolt was a 19mm socket but that was a tad sloppy...so probably 18mm...which I don't have...and I hadn't found the imperial equivalent.

Also took a better picture but it only shows more detail and more rust...nothing to see here folks~

Last edited:

tiracing

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
tiracing, take the bracket off, and clean the encrustated oil & dirt. There may be a FoMoCo part # stamped into the bracket. I found the part number and was able to match with a part listed on Amazon. The pulley is available from Rock Auto, but not the 'bolt/rivet', as I found out.
Just get the full assembly if you need new idler bearings or the pulley has started to turn back into coal/oil.
From memory, I am pretty sure the whole thing was noted to 'fit' 86 and up Limas, along with a pile of other vehicles.
I thought about grinding the rivet off, and tapping the bracket, but time and effort were better spent in other areas.
tom

Tom,
Thanks for the quick response. We ordered a new assembly and we will see if that works out.

Thanks again.

rab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
merkur
Transmission
Manual
Didn't get a chance to get to the yard, but here are some pics of the pulley and pulley bracket. Just to refresh I'm looking for the pulley bolt.
also the pulley has a part number/name is Dayco 00039.

Attachments

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
You have to accomplish two things. Align the idler front to rear so it is in plane with the other serpentine pulleys and provide 'axle' services. If you put it in place, if you can, you should look for clearanc between the boss on the mounting plate and the center of the idler. If the idler can be tightened against the plate, then all you need is a regular bolt of the proper diameter, length and thread style.
You can measure the diameter, and use another bolt to determine thread requirements. You'd have to approximate the required length. I'd use a probe through the center of the pulley to the surface of the mounting plate.
If the pulley must stand out proud of the mounting plate surface, you will likely need a spacer slug that will get tightened by the bolt against the mount and against the center of the idler.
I make the assumption that this setup is from the newer engine rather than the trucks factory equipment. Maybe a turbo Bird site on the web might have a better solution.
tom

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals