• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 Ranger Truck 2.3L Ignition Coils Question

Mr.Doiturself

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
i am troubleshooting a Continuous Memory code 224 retrieved from the EEC-IV (KOEO).
I thought i would start by checking the Spark on the spark plug wires to verify spark for each spark plug. Since there are two coils as viewed from the front of the truck which sit one in front of the other (correct me if i'm wrong) the Primary Coil sits behind the Secondary Coil which are both located on the left (passenger side of the engine).
Tested the spark on the spark plug wires on the "Primary Coil" and all four appear to have a good spark while engine running.
Tested the spark on the spark plug wires on the "Secondary Coil" on all four spark plu wires and found #2 spark plug wire no spark but re-checked primary and seconadry coils again and then found that the Secondary Coil was not outputting a spark at now on all four wires. the Primary Coil which is behind the seconadry coil was outputting a spark on all four every time.

My Question is: is the Secondary Coil supossed to fire all the time or is there a stop time (non firing peroid) where no spark is output?

In my research of the DTC 224 found four of the following which has confused me:
(1) Erratic IDM input to Processor.
(2) Trucks only; Spout Circuit Ground/Coil 1, 2, 3, or 4.
(3) Spout Circuit Open.
(4) Failure in the ignition coil primary circuit –ignition system.

Can anyone out there that can help with this.
Thanks in advance :)

Update: I just yesterday concluded that cylinders number 2 & 3 on the secondary coil are Not firing most of the time. Usually when I first start the truck then they may fire for a bit then stops firing after. All other spark plugs are firing Okay. Now I have swapped the Primary Coils with the secondary coil and re-tested and the same problem no spark on the secondary cylinders number 2 & 3. I am now leaning to check signals at the Ignition Control Module and PCM.

Another question that may be related: Over a year ago I replaced the timing belt and tensioner assembly because the timing belt broke off completely. Know in this engine there is what I think is called an Auxiliary Shaft which is driven by the Timing Belt. In my Haynes Service Manual it didn’t talk much about the Auxiliary Shaft assembly or how to time it. It did talk a lot about an Oil Pump timing marks but only for the 1995 only. Before installing the timing belt I looked all over on the Auxiliary sprocket, on the block but was unable to see or find a marking that indicated a timing mark therefore, positioned that Auxiliary sprocket to a Position I thought would be where it left off before the timing belt broke. Can anyone comment on this and can this be the reason for loss of power besides the 2 spark plugs not firing?

Any heads up on going about this or am I on the right track?

Last edited:

Mr.Doiturself

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Okay her's what i found on the DTC 224 and about the coils

First FYI; my truck always started and ran but a bit sluggish and backfired at acceleration.

First checked all spark plug for Spark and in my case found that number 2 & 3 cylinders on the intake side was not firing, all others were Okay.

Secondly checked each Spark Plug and Spark Plug Wires and found that all spark plug wires and spark plugs were okay made absolutely sure of that.

Now “basically speaking”: also found that because there are two Coils; one is the Primary Coil and the other is the Secondary Coil. Each Coil pack contains two coils which fires two spark plus at a time when fired. Also since there are two spark plugs per cylinder then one Spark Plug fires on the compression stroke and the other spark plug fires on the Exhaust stroke.
The PCM (Power Control Module) determines the ignition timing based on info from sensors and sends ignition timing to the ICM (ignition Control Module) which then determines which Coils to fire.

Armed with some knowledge; swapped the coils to see if that made a difference on the spark plugs that were not firing before and noticed that no difference with coils swapped.

Performed a resistance check on the Input side of the Coils. Each coils pack has three terminals. With the middle pin as being common, checked resistance from middle pin to the pins at the ends (right and left pins) and got a 0.8 ohms reading on each. Now for the pins on the ends only, got a resistance of 1.3 ohms.

Now checked input signals on both coils while engine running. Since the input connector on each coil pack has 3 pins, the Middle pin is common which is 12v and the end pins are the trigger signals for the coil which is a ground.
Now the coils that were working (sparking) okay engine running had a reading of around 0.13vdc and on the coils that were not working (not outputting a spark) engine running the reading was 0vdc which in my case was one of the wires on the Coil that closest to the front of the engine.

Now it turned out that the ICM was the problem and replaced it with a new aftermarket part. But at the time of resolving the issue did not have a lot of the info on front of me and did not have the electrical diagrams other than some Basic info. Therefore, made a guess at it and got lucky.

Note a member from this forum did help out and I was very appreciative, Thank you for the info :)
Hope this can help someone else.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Same problem

I have the 1994 Mazda B2300 2.3 version of your truck and have the same codes, only I'm also getting the following:

- 332 EGR insufficient EGR flow detected
- 335 EGR sensor circuit voltage high or lower than expected during self test.

Noticed it was running rough with an occasional backfire after I had someone change the timing belt and water pump (they broke at the same time) and it ran progressively worse.

Then I replaced fuel filter, MAF Sensor, IAC, PCV and EGR valves, properly gapped and replaced plugs & wires and put new coil packs on it, replaced the large vacuum hose below air filter housing. new air filter and ran a bottle of injector cleaner through the system. disconnected battery and drove vehicle through many hot/cold cycles then retested.

Runs better but still runs rough at idle, only suddenly now I get a tiny bit of knock at startup every time the truck has sat for a day or more. primary ignition coil failure code went away. I know these trucks can go up to 600,000 miles or more and I'm only at around 270,000 so I'm still just breaking her in. Any ideas? I'm going to try to replace the PCM next. Do you know where it's located? Your post was extremely helpful, thanks!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals