• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Loose Key Cylender/ A/C on indefrost Fixes

oldmantruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hi all, long time no see. I just fixed two things on my 1994 that drove me nuts and wanted to share.

First, as with all fords with a locking stearing column, the shiny metal ring around the key cylender was getting loose. Fixed that by carfully drilling and tapping an 8-32 hole about 1/4" to the dash side of the key opening all the way through the shiny part and into the main body of the key cyleder. Then installing an 8-32 set screw( fairly long ) through both the outside and inside piece. its a little tough to go from drilling pot metal to hardened steel, but if you are careful its not to bad. Total cost about 19 cents.( plus borrowing a tap drill and 8-32 tap)

Second, it drove me nuts that the ac ran all the time in defrost even though there is a switch to turn on ac in any mode if you want it. So I did a little digging around the net and found the wiring diagram at autozone and did a little snip action and now the ac compressor only runs when the push for ac button is pushed. The diagram is from a 1991 and calls for a light green/ purple wire. On the 1994 the wire was just purple. It is whichever color (green or purple can be found out on the ac pressure switch under the hood.)
purple in my case. when you remove the ash tray and the tape around the bundle of wires going to the heater controls you will find two purple wires one is about 14 to 16 gauge, the other is smaller, probably 18 to 20. Cut the small one. It goes to the defroster side of the switch. Total cost. 0.

I don't know if anyone else is going nuts from these issues, but If you are, I can help you out.

have a good one,

Jim

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals