• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

truck not wanting to start.

fatboyf150

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
my 00 ranger 3.0 auto 4x4 is having a problem cranking up. mostly when its cold. when you turn the key, its cranking over but will not start unless i hold the key for a really long time or hold the skinny pedal to the floor. once its cranked, its fine. only code the truck had was a Cly 6 misfire. not sure if there is a flow back valve in the fuel system letting it drain back or if i have other problems. I'm about to pull my hair out with this truck. any help is appreciated.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
how many miles/what condition are the plugs and what yr? if you have stick coils (coil on plug) pull the cap on that cylinder and turn it over and see if its firing.

fatboyf150

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
how many miles/what condition are the plugs and what yr? if you have stick coils (coil on plug) pull the cap on that cylinder and turn it over and see if its firing.
the misfire isnt my problem, the plugs are a week old, the coil is 4 months old, and plug wires are 6 months oil with injectors installed at the same time.

the problem i have is when i go to start the truck, it cranks over but wont start unless i hold the key for a long time or hold the gas pedal on the floor. then it cranks.

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The engine coolant temperature sensor works like the automatic choke on a carburetor. When the engine is cold, the computer reads the sensors, and if the coolant is under 90* per the ECT, it will add more fuel to make the air/fuel richer for a cold start. If the engine is warm, there is no need for a richer mixture.

If this circuit fails, the computer will think the engine is warm when it isn't, will not add additional fuel, thus making the engine hard to start when cold.:)shady

Last edited:

jgeibel

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
my 99 does the same thing i decided pumping the skinny pedal wouldnt be bad. haha my logic might be missing a few steps but it works so thats where im at

Viper Command

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2x'97-'88-'98-'
Make / Model
Ranger,Ranger,
Engine Size
3.0,4.0OHV 2.9, 4.6DOHC, 4.0SOHC
try this turn the key to hot when you hear the fuel pump stop do it agin and agin...
if it fires up ok or less time, check your fuel pump volts, fuel filter, pres. regulator

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Last edited:

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
if it runs fine after starting and driving i dont believe it would be fuel pressure but it wouldnt hurt to check. mine did the same thing, i had water in my gas and it was all in the fuel filter. when my trk primed itself it pumped the water to the injectors and wouldnt start for crap. once i got it going it was fine just acted a lil funny didnt think anything of it. then one day it wouldnt start no matter what i did, so i started looking at everything and ruled it down to fuel filter quickly, new filter and pumped the tank dry, then refueled w/ good fuel. that was the last time i filled at exxon/texaco fuel stations here in town. bp or chevron for me!!!

mixwell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Dont know if this would be relevant or not but my truck was doing that but it wasn't just when it was cold. It would do it on first start up and after sitting for about an hour after I ran it. If I ran the engine then shut it off and started it within 5 min it would start right up. I had concerns about the fuel pressure but it ended up being my fuel pump.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals