• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

transmission questions/advice

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
if you can't find the plugs carefully remove the rubber ones and clean them really well. then use silicone on them and reinstall. the top cover gasket is a rubber seal and I have always reused them

inverse1216

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
it appears someone has rtv'd the 3 plugs already, and i will most likely re use the top plate gasket.

i think i am going to replace the main seal on the crankcase while i am in there, not sure if it is that or the pan gasket that's leaking.

Kenneth S

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When doing a clutch/trans job I always replace the rear main seal if it needs it, or not. Might as well since the transmission is out.

inverse1216

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I agree im going to replace the main seal since im there. ordered a clutch from a local place for 85 dollars it was their midgrade option. should be here Friday and then I will proceed on putting all this back together.

inverse1216

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
quick question guys, im putting the truck back together and I noticed that the trans I got out of the yard which was from a 94 doesn't have a neutral switch in the top plate vs my 89 trans that did.

my question is can I just jump the harness for the switch and bypass it?

I know the truck wont start with out it so I need to do something regarding that switch. thanks

inverse1216

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
well I changed the oil pan gasket which im glad I did because the old one was almost non existent. also replaced the rear main and got the trans bolted back in but hit a snag with the slave/master I got with it from the junkyard.

apparently 89 and 94 use different master cylinders and slave cylinders. the difference in the master from what I can tell is it has a longer arm for a longer throw and the mounting area is a little bit different but I think I can fix that part.

I am going to mount the 94 master and see what happens. auto parts store list different slave cylinders for the 89 and 90 but I cant figure out what the difference would be.

called it quits for the day so the next chance I get I will try to make this master work and see what happens when I fire it up. still need to see what happens with out the neutral sense switch.

inverse1216

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
got dead around here... but for anyone who wants to know you don't have to have the neutral sense switch the truck will still run.

I have the trans back in and used the original master cylinder and the 94 slave cylinder with a new hydraulic line from the parts store and had to switch the ends so it would connect to the 94 slave.

did a bench test and ran through all the gears while up on the jack stands and all gears engage with no issues.

found out that the two rear wheel cylinders are leaking so that's the next project and figure out the parking brakes while I am back there.

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
Glad you got it fixed!

inverse1216

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
thanks, the real surprise about the rear brakes was that the previous owner cut the line to the right side and pinched it off. if that wasn't bad enough the left side had no brake components present when I pulled the drum off.

I picked up new shoes and drum hardware and rebuilt both sides but I need to pick up some brackets that are not available through parts stores tomorrow from the local junk yard. also replaced the parking brake cables because those were broken as well. should be street worthy after tomorrow.

I also picked up some bucket seats the last time I was at the yard to replace the worn out bench seat. looking forward to driving it soon.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals