• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2001 4.0 to 5.0 V8 Swap

01Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys I have a 2001 Ranger Edge 4.0 4 wheel drive and I want to throw a 5.0 into it. I've read most of the other forum posts on here about V8 conversions. I want to use a Explorer as a donor vehicle. But I don't know what year would be an ideal match. Also I was hoping for a detailed list of anything and everything I'll need to do this conversion, right down to any hose, bolt, trick tips or anything. I appreciate any feedback. I love my truck and want to keep this thing beasting down the roads for years to come.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Have you looked in the Tech Section: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/index.shtml
Good page to Bookmark ^^^

In Engines or Conversions are "been there done that" swap info from members.

This one has info on V8 into 2000 Ranger: http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/Fall2009/explorer_v8_swap.shtml

But check out all the V8 swap articles

2001 Ranger will have Returnless fuel system, 65psi, only 1 fuel line to engine bay
1998 and up Explorers will as well, earlier had different system, 35psi with 2 fuel lines, and different fuel rail and injectors.

Ford Computers in Rangers and Explorers use PATS(passive anti-theft system), this prevents the computer from turning on the fuel system unless a "known" PATS key is used in the ignition, so make sure you get PATS keys with Explorer parts or donor.
Your Rangers PATS keys can be added to the Explorer PATS system, if you get 2 working Explorer PATS keys with that computer, or a locksmith with the Ford software can add them

Most Explorers will have automatics, so its computer needs to be connected to an automatic, manual trans computers have different firmware.
So using a manual trans is possible but adds another layer of things to deal with, if your '01 is a manual then you may want to go that way

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals