• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

help! swapping duraspark to eec-IV engine..

killercrow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Manual
hello! my first post here, nice forum with a wealth of information.

heres what im trying to figure out... i have what i believe is an 84 ranger with the 2.8L running the old brain box and vacuum advance distributor. this is my parts truck. the one im trying to get going is an 86 with the EEC-IV system.

is it possible to swap in the ecu, distributor, and brain box into the 86?

my reason... i did a bunch of welding on the body, and i fried the ecu, the ignition module and the coil. at least thats all i can figure. when i plug the diagnostic tool into the truck with the eec-IV, i get a code 11, then a code 15 which is "ROM test failed"

i took the ecu from the older truck, plugged into the newer one and im getting codes for all sorts of emissions sensors that didnt show on the fried computer.

also, the injectors do some weird clicking noises... the troubleshooer manual says clicking is normal...

any help would be awesome... since im about to do something im not sure about...

thanks.

al.

killercrow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Manual
oops

just realized, both systems are eec-IV. the older model is running the feedback carb, newer one has the efi... so confused.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
The carbed motor would be a 2.8 and the efi motor would be a 2.9. You are dealing with apples and oranges. Different everyting.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals