• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Poll: Switching forum software to Xenforo

Should we switch forum software to Xenforo?

• Yes

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • No

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Doesn't matter to me either way

Votes: 16 64.0%

• Total voters

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I voted yes because I find myself on my phone a lot more. My understanding is zen will make the experience on the phone better.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
One thing I have noticed on other forums when a change of software takes place, there are a lot of BB codes and user links (such as the little arrow in quoted posts that takes you to it's original post, the user rep and itrader stuff, etc. just to name a few) that tend to get broken or lost. An update to a later version of the same software I think would help avoid some of those issues.

As for smartphones and mobile, I've mostly abstained (too small screens, atrocious flexibility, less privacy control, too many other issues). I generally will have my laptop with me when I travel anyway. My experience here is almost solely from normal computers, so I can't really comment on that side of things.
I actually own Vbulletin 4. I bought it years ago and actually tried to update the forum, but it kept crashing in the update process, so I stuck to what worked.

I personally don't care either way. I'm just trying to get a feel for what our members would like.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I'd say I could be flexible, as long as old posts are still accessible (easily). There just might be good information that I need in those old posts.

I'm never on here on my phone or my iPad, or my droid tablet. I only come on my computer.

If I were you, Jim, and I had unlimited resources, I'd build an app for the site. An app could do a lot of really cool things.....

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
I don't care either way, I am easy :)

the one question I have is would you be able to import all of the current bulletin board without losing data? or would you have to *archive* the current board to read only and start over?

AJ

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I don't care because I hate trying to see stuff on a tiny ass phone screen. There's a reason they make 20+ inch size computer monitors for us people that actually want to see what we are looking at without getting a headache squinting at a tiny screen on a phone.

That being said...Jim, its your forum, you do what you need to keep TRS going for another 20+ years. This forum has helped me a lot, its what got me back into an RBV again, only wish I knew of this forum in 2002 before I sold my 84 Ranger :(.

det107

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I do read the forums via cell but other times I'll go on the computer to research.....

Do what's best in the long run, I will overcome, adapt & improvise :icon_twisted:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

the one question I have is would you be able to import all of the current bulletin board without losing data? or would you have to *archive* the current board to read only and start over?

AJ
It has been so long since we switched I had forgotten about all that fun.

I mainly use my laptop but when I use my phone it is tough going. Especially double checking a chance find in a JY. 1/32" text (I calipered it just now) is hard to read or catch the right thing especially outdoors. It is common to end up at user profiles rather than threads because the text is so little.

More mobile friendly would be nice, its too bad the newer version won't work right.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD

AJ
That's a very good point, I hadn't really thought of it either. I imagine the forum would take a big hit if it had to start over.

I did use a Xenforo based forum today and found one feature that I kinda like. Apparently it has the option to allow "tagging" of members in posts and they get alerted that they've been mentioned. That would be handy to bring certain people's attention to threads where their experience and insight would be useful, threads that might otherwise be overlooked. That said, I can also see how that feature would quickly get old if abused.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
well im happy with the current setup, but do what you feel is best. personally i use the desktop for any web veiwing, even the bigger screen of a iphone 6+ isnt dig enough for my eyes to really see. sure i'll get a screenshot of axle codes or something if im headed to the junkyard but im not really a "mobile" web user.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
I exclusively use my iPhone for internet use. But I rarely post anymore. So......... do what you need to do boss. So far I haven’t had many issues using this version on my iPhone

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's a very good point, I hadn't really thought of it either. I imagine the forum would take a big hit if it had to start over.

I did use a Xenforo based forum today and found one feature that I kinda like. Apparently it has the option to allow "tagging" of members in posts and they get alerted that they've been mentioned. That would be handy to bring certain people's attention to threads where their experience and insight would be useful, threads that might otherwise be overlooked. That said, I can also see how that feature would quickly get old if abused.
There is probably a setting to neuter that if you don't want to keep getting bugged. I have seen where you can like a post so you can give your approval without posting a "+1..." and where you get a little thing that says a thread you posted in has been replied to kind of like Facebook.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals