• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'01 Front Differential Output shaft

JackTheStripper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have an 01 Explorer (Guess you can call it a Ranger axle). I noticed some front end noise and when I went to investigate, I had a pretty severe leak between the pass. side CV axle and the front diff. The seal looks fine. I'm 99% sure the CV axle is locking onto the shaft. However, it still floats back and fourth a good amount which prevents a seal between the CV axle and the diff. Upon further inspection, I notice the output shaft on the diff. has a lot of in/out play in it.

Obviously, I suspect this play is not normal and is what's causing my leak. Can anyone shine some light on what holds this shaft in place and what may have broke?

I can't find a lot of information on this and figured I'd ask you guys for some input before I tear it apart. It looks like I'm probably not able to get the cover off without dropping the thing.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals