• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

talk to me about shackle angles

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Make / Model
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
Transmission
Manual
tell me about my shackle angle. i know the ruff rule of thumb is 90 degrees for the leaf to shackle angle. but i feel like i need to have the shackle be more horizontal. thoughts on how to correct this?

it rides really well the way it is, but i don't think it will droop as well as it should and could.

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Rule of thumb is about 90° to spring at ride height.

It looks good but with the length of shackle you have moving it back will help at droop.

I set mine up to be flat at droop and it worked out close to 90 at ride height.

It's all really ok as long as you don't go 0° at droop or past 180° on compression.

I still think you should have kept the stock shackle and moved the bracket up. The longer shackle hasn't given you any more droop than what mine has.

Last edited:

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Make / Model
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
Transmission
Manual
ok ok i follow ya. but to make things more confusing, i went to american spring today to see what they thought about things. and he says my shackle should be pointing more backward. passed vertical. which makes no sense to me. but i'm still pretty new on these angles.

i think i'm gonna have them build a new main leaf that is an in or two shorter than mine now, and rearch them for more lift so i can soften my leaf pack. this will also allow me to have a new center pin hole drilled so i can keep my axle in the stock location. as of now, i'm about one in less in WB

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
The pic you posted is not at ride height under load though, just a loose spring installed right? It will settle under load and sit back farther once you get weight on it.

spdcrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
mostly 86
Make / Model
B2
Engine Size
2.9 bored and cammed
Transmission
Manual
The pic you posted is not at ride height under load though, just a loose spring installed right? It will settle under load and sit back farther once you get weight on it.
that was with weight on it. not moving obviously. and the spring pack is fairly stiff because i needed it to get on the road at least

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals