• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ifs sas or long travel?

cowboy3:16

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I am having a hard time deciding if I am just going to lift my 1998 ranger the way it is or if I want to do a swap. I plan on not going any bigger then 35's but I will be locking front and rear with a selectable locker. I do have plans to take it to the dunes from time to time but mostly will be looking and wheeling in mud and on tight trails in Washington and taking trips to Idaho where it's going to be mostly mud and rock. Really I just want my rig to be alright all around no matter what I wheel in. I have gotten out of the stage in my life where I beat my stuff up but will take my truck places it shouldn't go or "can't" go. Can you crawl rocks and wooded trails just as we'll with a long travel as with a sas? And if I'm not always locked up and gentle with it when it's locked would the ifs handle a locker with a light truck on 35's?

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
No way that ifs will handle 35s and a locker. 35s will break the very spendy hub assemblies every couple months and the locker will destroy the cv shafts. Coupled with the rocks it's a recipe for disaster.

Go with a Dana 44/ford 9" swap. You will need a toyota ifs steering box, and from there it's up to you how you want to build it. You can leaf spring it, coils with radius arms, 3 or 4 link it, it's up to you at that point.

For simplicity I say leafs. For a little more flex coils, for the gnarliest possible setup 4 link it :D

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
Where do you wheel at btw? I live in sw Washington, would be cool to see a fellow ranger guy out there!

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i was also going to ask what part of washington.

i also say do a d44 for 35's

cowboy3:16

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I live about as nw as it gets lol right on the water and the border. We have a few places to wheel up here that like I said are tight trails mostly mud with tree roots and a few rock. I had been looking into the 44 swap with a four link. However for almost the same price for a good quality set up the long travel weighs in real close with what I would assume better flex. I just haven't heard of anyone crawling a lt and at this point am a little curious on how well it would work? More then likely I will go sas four link and maybe do a long travel later on with a separate build as a dune truck. Thanks guys for the input I will do a little more looking more in the focus of a sas and arb air locker. If you know of anyone with an lt setup on anything I would like to know how well it does at low.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals