• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1991 Leaks under rain

Vexarana

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 91 Ranger that I haven't really treated to a lot of maintenance and am wanting to keep it on the road for plenty of years to come.

The problem that I have with it is that it leaks (a lot) when it rains. And being in the mid-west, it rains a stupid amount.

The wind-shield was replaced when I got the truck, but I was planning on pulling trim and adding more sealant to that. Based on what I have read, the likely culprit is the caulking/sealant along the "rain gutters" on the side of the cab above the doors.

I don't have a headliner in the cab currently, so whenever it rains I can tell where it comes from. Basically, the water comes in from wherever, then runs down the interior sheet of metal, and drips out of the bracket / brace at the front of the cab. So.. 90% sure it's coming in from the sides. The prev owned had some off-road lights but I inspected the top and there are no holes, so he must have had a headache rack or something.

The problem is that the caulking/sealant has been there for longer than I've been alive. It's hard as a rock. Is there some sort of product I can put on there to soften it up without resorting to a grinder, chisel, or other violent option?

XLTsplash

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I would cut along both edges of the old sealer with a razor blade so that you won't peel your paint off when you chisel out the old body seam sealer. Then fill the drip rails with new body seam sealer and paint the sealer to match your Ranger.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Before doing anything I would wait for a non-rainy day and use a hose on each location you think might be the leak point.
See if you can narrow it down.

A common place to leak is rusted out spot at bottom of windshield tray, water comes down from top of windshield, it gets behind upper trim and travels down the sides.

Vexarana

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It is actually coming in from the roof area, I know that. I don't have a headliner so I can feel it if I reach up in the roof cross member and then when I accelerate or decelerate I can hear it and it drips down. I will do the body seam filler above and I guess just chisel it out. Thanks!

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I just used an old small screwdriver and a hammer for mine, didn't really take much effort, the stuff mostly just chips right off.
Then followed that with some silicone RTV sealant (GE brand I think).

6 years now and no problems (just rained here in So Calif. three days ago if you can believe that lol, otherwise it's just baked in the desert sun).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals