• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hagan's '91 Ranger

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah a little far away.

I finished replacing the head gasket, head bolts, timing belt, and water pump. Seems to run great now. I finally have heat in the cab now! I've only got $200 into everything.

I only need to make it until mid next year until I tear it apart and start my v8 swap!:headbang: And I won't be using a 302...:icon_thumby:

I put right around $200 into it so
Whatcha gonna run?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

proz07

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.3l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Pretty sure I'm going to run a 5.3l Chevy.
I like your style, already have my 5.3l LM7 in the garage next to the t56 and 8.8 rear... man i need more time to work on this thing!

Z

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I like your style, already have my 5.3l LM7 in the garage next to the t56 and 8.8 rear... man i need more time to work on this thing!

Z
Thats pretty much exactly what I'm going to do engine/trans wise. Have you done much research on the swap? I only saw 1 thread and it looked kind of half assed. He bent the lip of the frame rail so he could fit the stock exhaust manifolds.

I've been hoarding an engine for 3 years now and I think if I sell it I can buy the engine/trans

proz07

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.3l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thats pretty much exactly what I'm going to do engine/trans wise. Have you done much research on the swap? I only saw 1 thread and it looked kind of half assed. He bent the lip of the frame rail so he could fit the stock exhaust manifolds.

I've been hoarding an engine for 3 years now and I think if I sell it I can buy the engine/trans
I did a search around and only found the one thread as well. Ive done enough digging to know it wont be easy. If you add in an aftermarket radiator and E-fan its gonna be real tight front to back as from the heads to the waterpump pulley is about 28" and from the firewall to the core support is about 33-34ish. doesnt leave a whole lot of room up there. For width ill be honest im planning on a turbo build so ill be flipping the manifolds and welding my own setup in so itll be very different im sure. But I doubt theres any way the stock truck manifolds would work without some interesting fab work. simply put the frame rals are right at about 25" wide and the motor is about 24" at the widest part of the head and then the manifolds drop down from that and dont hug the block. Now if you could use some vette block hugger manifolds or the like it may fit without extensive custom work but i dont have any laying around to even guess.

Im pretty sure some mods will need to be made to the heater box or removed.

Ill be running a manual steering box to try and gain a bit of room. but im even contemplating relocating the box to the outside of the frame rail.

For the trans you'll most likely need this kit to relocate the shifter to the correct position and should be in the OEM spot. https://shiftsst.com/store/t56-front-shift-kit.html

And then a custom drive shaft of course.

Right now iv got the big parts and the little pieces will come this winter when i tear out the 2.9 to show horn the 5.3 in and ill be able to say more then im sure. Right now i need to semi restore the interior and seal up the exterior of the cab so im not dealing with that at the same time as gettting the engine sorted. I try to do projects in phases so they dont just collect dust.

Z

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Bobbywalter has done a couple of them, you might bug him.

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think I've decided to sell my Ranger. Someone hit it today.and I'm extremely bummed out. I bought it because it was so clean and now I don't want to look at it anymore

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That sucks. sorry to hear.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think I've decided to sell my Ranger. Someone hit it today.and I'm extremely bummed out. I bought it because it was so clean and now I don't want to look at it anymore
How bad? It is still pretty much rust free (aka solid for a race truck barring structural damage)

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How bad? It is still pretty much rust free (aka solid for a race truck barring structural damage)
Just a small dent on the fender and some scratches. Im just being dramatic:bawling:

Let me describe to you how i am. In parking lots I park far away from people so i can't get door dings or runaway carts. I never ever park next to anyone unless all spots are taken. I always chose a parking spot that's at least a parking spot space between me and another car. I like to park against a curb and close to it so no one can get close to me. At work i park in a field my boss owns that he covered in gravel. I park in a very far corner next to a shipping container he uses for spare parts/tools.

My point being i avoid stupid people at all costs. Only 1 other guy i work around and he claims to not have hit my Ranger although admits he parked next to it. I swear my Ranger was perfect this morning when I went to work because there was dust on the scratches and it would have washed off in the rain.

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
A fender and a door. Easily repairable. A piss off for sure but not something to scrap the truck over.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I park next to this container (came from a box truck). This is at the very corner of his lot. Its a 2 acre lot and at least 1 acre is all rock.

A fender and a door. Easily repairable. A piss off for sure but not something to scrap the truck over.
I just cant own anything nice. This shit keeps happening to me. I was driving my Dodge but apparently the most destructive force in nature (a.k.a. woman) broke her car. So she's driving my beater truck.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals