• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hart to Start but runs great

jmayle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Live and let live
I have a 1993 2.3 ranger that is very hard to start. It is like it is firing on the compression stroke. but I have checked the timing belt and is spot on, the plug wires are in the correct order and the starter is new. also I have also changed the computer. In order to get it to start I have to press down on the accelerator and it may take as many as 10 time trying to start it before it will start. But when it does it runs great.

To all that sent in help, thank you. I by-passed the entire ignition system and jumped the starter only to find that it had enough power turn the motor only a short time and then disengage from the flywheel. I put another starter in and all is right with my world. Again thank you.

Last edited:

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
Next time on a cold start cycle the key on and off three or 4 times allowing the fuel pump to build pressure. If it does then you have a dirty fuel filter or weak fuel pump.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
What craig described can also be due to a leaking injector or a leaky check valve. In that case, there's no fuel in the fuel rail to supply the injectors at startup. There's a check valve in 'return' systems that keeps pressure in the system over night. If it fails, no fuel, no start until pressure builds.
Turn the key to ON, waiting a few seconds, then back to OFF, back to ON, pause. Repeat several times. You should hear the fuel pump run at each cycle to ON. After a few cycles, try starting.
tom

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1993 2.3 ranger that is very hard to start. It is like it is firing on the compression stroke. but I have checked the timing belt and is spot on, the plug wires are in the correct order and the starter is new. also I have also changed the computer. In order to get it to start I have to press down on the accelerator and it may take as many as 10 time trying to start it before it will start. But when it does it runs great.
Ford only runs the fuel pump for 2 seconds when key is turned on
So follow craig's and tomw's advice, cycle key on and off 3 or 4 times before trying to start engine, that will build up fuel pressure in the system if it was lost while engine was off.
Once engine RPMs are above 400(engine started), fuel pump will come on full time.

Gas pedal is really an "air pedal" on fuel injected engines, it doesn't add gasoline to the engine, only air.
If you press the gas pedal down to the floor all the way when trying to start, computer will TURN OFF fuel injectors, it is called Clear Flooded Engine Routine.
If you want to see if injectors are leaking then press down gas pedal to the floor and hold it down all the way, crank engine, it should NOT start or even fire.
Then release gas pedal while still cranking and engine should start once injectors are turned back on.
If engine fires with gas pedal to the floor then injectors are leaking, or possibly fuel pressure regulator

1994 and earlier 2.3l Rangers used an ICM(ignition control module), located on the front of lower intake, facing the fan
The ICM only sparks the Exhaust side coil pack while starter motor is active.
Intake side spark plugs only start to work when RPMs are above 400.
So.............if exhaust side spark plugs or coil pack are not working well then poor starting.
You can swap coil packs, they are the same.
And you can pull a few exhaust side spark plugs and look at their condition.

The ICMs were a know issue when they got older, they can be tested at most autoparts stores

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals