• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

So you want a 98+ exhuast on your 94? Step in here

rkneeshaw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Most cat-back systems these days are for a 98+ ranger. The only option I could really find for my model year was a series of aluminized cat-back systems, nobody offered stainless. But there are several stainless options for the newer rangers, including the Dynomax 39315 for only $181 on amazon.com (shwing!). I was under the impression the underside of the ranger didnt change much at all over the years, and the same 4.0L is in the 98's as is in my 94, so why does the 98+ catback systems not supposedly fit on my 94?

I decided to find out. It turns out that (of course) the routing of the exhaust is NO different. The only difference I could find after searching online for pictures of the undersides of the newer rangers is that Ford changed the hanger locations on the exhuast. On the 98+ the front hanger is directly above the muffler, and the rear hanger is forward of the rear tailpipe by a foot or two. On my 94 the front hanger is in front of the muffler and the rear hanger is right near the final bend on the tailpipe.

Well a couple lousy hanger locations shouldn't stop me from using a stainless cat-back for 98+ rangers!

Fair warning, I think you'll have to be prepared to do without your spare tire if you want to do this. I haven't had one under my truck since I bought it so I don't really know if its possible to keep it or not.

First things first, move the rear hanger forward. I had to remove my spare tire rack (which I wasn't using anyway) and cut off the rivet on the stock hanger, then used a regular bolt and nut to re-use the hole in the frame that my spare tire rack was using, like so:

Next, get yourself about an 8" straight section of exhaust pipe because the 39315 isn't long enough. Here's what a local shop made for me:

Thats about it. I am going to have an exhaust shop weld on a hanger at the forward location, even though it may not be necessary.

Only one tight spot here (NOTE: I have rear leafs from a 2006 ranger installed here and about 1" lift shackles):

The rest fits perfectly, and most importantly the flange mates perfectly to my cats:

And a few more pics of the install:

Sounds pretty good too. Not much louder than stock, and the tip looks real good, nice and beefy (sorry for the bad picture, looks better in person)

Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Good job, thanks for sharing.

Richard

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
NICE work (and pics)! It inspires and guides us Ranger "cult" members. :icon_thumby:

So my 1999 factory exhaust is just "aluminized" steel? That would account for the rust I see. Your N. Michigan factors make my near-beach salt-air situation seem a bit tame, but... I still gotta get after it, if I want to get max life out of "mah toobz". (Nice to know I can replace the whole shebang with BETTER material for only $181!) Obviously the guys in AZ/NV/So-Cal are COASTING by the whole rust thaaang.

Was gonna pull everything you did, and after a once-over with the phosphoric/oxalic/citric ACID rust "removal/binding" product(s), and a wire-wheel, plus a blast of brake cleaner, coat it all with rattle-can BBQ grill paint (rated 1200degF). Maybe pull the twin cats too, but do them with the even higher temp (2000degF) paint...?

Help a noob out here, i.e. how long is the longest piece as shipped, and/or how huge was the box it all came in?

Thanks in advance... hope to see some pics of your Dynomax after 2 or 3 Michigan winters...

Last edited:

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Nice job. It looks really nice.

I have a quick question for you. How did you like this clamp? Did it seal up OK? I've been thinking about using these for my F150.

rkneeshaw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Help a noob out here, i.e. how long is the longest piece as shipped, and/or how huge was the box it all came in?

Thanks in advance... hope to see some pics of your Dynomax after 2 or 3 Michigan winters...
I think the longest section was like 4-5 foot. Comes in a box about 5 foot long, 18 inches tall, and maybe 12 inches wide. I'm not sure how well it will do after a couple winters, it turns out only the tip and muffler are stainless :( :(

Nice job. It looks really nice.

I have a quick question for you. How did you like this clamp? Did it seal up OK? I've been thinking about using these for my F150.
Totally happy with those clamps, they sealed up well. They have some kind of putty or something inside at the joint that helps seal things up real well too.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Totally happy with those clamps, they sealed up well. They have some kind of putty or something inside at the joint that helps seal things up real well too.
OK, that explains how they seal then. I thought it was just a metal band. Probably not a reusable deal then eh?

Sent from a Commodore 64 using a 300 baud modem

fixizin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
Next, get yourself about an 8" straight section of exhaust pipe because the 39315 isn't long enough.

Is that due to a std. vs. ext. cab thing, er whut? :icon_confused:

... it turns out only the tip and muffler are stainless :( :(
BASTIGES! I'm looking at the Amazon listing right now, and it TOTALLY portrays this kit as ALL stainless! :annoyed:

Last edited:

fixizin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
RE: Stainless... it's still better, overall, than OEM.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Here's my review of this exhaust: It sucks.

I just finished installing this system on my '01 supercab. It didnt fit worth a damn.

The inlet and outlet on my muffler werent flared. They were the exact same size as the intermediate and tail pipes. That meant I couldnt slip them together, the clamps wont fit, and the entire system is too long. I wound up having to use a length of flex pipe from the cat to the muffler (using the supplied clamps). I had to butt the tail pipe up to the muffler and use another band clamp to hold that together. All of this is due to the unflared inlet and outlet on the muffler.
When I finally got it together good enough to hold, I find the muffler is leaking where the outlet stub comes out of the body of the muffler.

They will be hearing from me!! Whomever was in charge of quality control the day this muffler was made should be handed a broom and told his new job is to sweep the floors, maybe he can get that right.

It sounds ok. Not too loud, but defiantly not stock.

allancombs

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
exhaust

Quick question for you: Any idea if the "Y" pipes are configured the same? The newer models have pre-cats on the y pipe, and the older ones do not. I wonder if they could be interchanged.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Quick question for you: Any idea if the "Y" pipes are configured the same? The newer models have pre-cats on the y pipe, and the older ones do not. I wonder if they could be interchanged.
To what purpose?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals