• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New Bronco Upgrades

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you have lifter tick in a 2.9 you need more than just lifters, you need cam bearings too. Cam bearings means the engine comes out.

Don't buy a whole donor vehicle for a 4.0 swap. Just go to the pick'n'pull and get an engine a harness and a computer.

A4LD is A4LD is garbage, so that's not too much of a concern. The 2.9 unit should hold up to the 4.0 as well as a 4.0 one would. The reason you see a rash of failures of 2.9 A4LDs behind 4.0s is the 2.9 didn't have the guts to finish breaking the trans.
This was my point, replacing one thing leads to another, more money, more time, and in the end you still have an underpowered crappy little engine that you wasted a few hundred bucks on.

Spede Demn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
Is english your second language??? He told in post #1 that he didnt want to do a 4L swap!!! How many times does it need to be repeated!!!

Lost Bushman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Put in a 4.0!!!

Is english your second language??? He told in post #1 that he didnt want to do a 4L swap!!! How many times does it need to be repeated!!!
LMAO, dude I couldn't resist.:icon_rofl:

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just expressing my opinion, kinda like everyone else.

Hell, I'll say it again. Why throw money and time at a POS engine, when it would be better spent towards an upgrade that is less work than putting new lifters and everything else that you will soon find wrong.

He asked for opinions and options.

4.0L swap wouldnt be my choice, in fact Ive sold two of them since owning my B2, nothing against the 4L but its alot of work for very little gain, but then I have a 2.8L w/duraspark so thats nothing like the 2.9L setup.
See I disagree with this statement. How is swapping an engine and wiring harness any harder than pulling an intake and half the other things he will have to replace because its old and worn out.

Lots of people have friends that can help them on stuff or a garage to work in.

I understand his parents don't want junk in the front yard. he doesn't have room for the donor.

But just throwing a set of lifters in this probably will not fix his problems.

Spede Demn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
So a new member comes along asking for a little help keeping his 2.9 engine running and all you can offer is to tell him he owns a piece of crap and should do a motor swap... your not offering the guy any help what so ever... and your rude about it. If your not here to offer anything related to the original post then your just being an annoying troll... yet again.

to the mods- last time I checked this was not a 4L ONLY forum... why do I have to put up with these trolls?

jhammel85

Just keep it down. Theres no need to argue over it. The OP hasn't made a big deal of it but i'd be annoyed if this became a pissing match between two members.

Both of you have an opinion of it, as well as everyone else but let the OP do what he wants and lets help him out.

No more stirring the pot. Leave the 4.0 vs 2.9 crap alone. Just help him with his problems.

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So a new member comes along asking for a little help keeping his 2.9 engine running and all you can offer is to tell him he owns a piece of crap and should do a motor swap... your not offering the guy any help what so ever... and your rude about it. If your not here to offer anything related to the original post then your just being an annoying troll... yet again.

to the mods- last time I checked this was not a 4L ONLY forum... why do I have to put up with these trolls?
You are the one trolling dude...

I'm offering the OP the benefit of my expieriences. You are making the big deal . OP hasn't commented since. If he doesn't wanna do ithe doesn't have to. Let the OP tell me off, not sure why you are, but whatever, have a nice day.

I guess we will just agree to disagree.

To the OP, good luck with with whatever you decide.
I know the 2.9's are infamous for having bad oil passages and that is what causes the poor oil to the lifters.

Last edited:

NoahS

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I appreciate the help given so far and the opinions given on both sides. As has already been pointed out my original question was about the 2.9 engine in particular but I realize the put a 4.0 comments are trying to help. I have tried to do research on the 4.0l swap and what I had found is that to do it well it was a little more complicated than just bolting it in and doing the wiring. Most recommended a new transmission as the 4.0 would kill the 25 year old transmission that wasn't that great to begin with as well as needing to potentially beef up the front suspension, these aren't things that are impossible, I know that, it is just more work than all the "Just put a 4L in" comments make it out to be

Spede Demn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS btw;)

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
For what it's worth, it's quite possible that your '89 has the Mazda trans already (same as the 4.0). The instant way to tell is look underneath and see if it has a removable bottom pan.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals