• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

F150 transfer case option for my RANGER 4BT

newbronco2

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, I need some help. I need a fullsize transfer case for my ranger, is there anything out there I can use that will work with my electronic shifter. I have already found the 4406 manual, and it is probably going to my best/only option, and the advance adapter kit (on back order till 2/1/12 or latter). I just thought I would post and see if anyone else had any ideas before I commited to the 4406.

Truck 99 Ranger extended cab 4X4
3" body lift.
Engine 4bt cummins turbo/intercooled
Transmission - M5r2 -- 1996 f150
Transfer case --- ???

Thanks Tim

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" body. 1.5" coil spring spacers/rear block
I think the limiting factor for a full size Tcase is whether it fits between the frame rails. Some of them are just too wide to fit without notching the frame.

Why not go with a manual tcase? An NP208 from a mid 80s f150 or FSB will fit in there.

I have heard all the electric shift BWs use the same shift motor, regardless of whether it's a FS or an RBV tcase so there might be hope for that option. I don't know where I heard it from so I can't confirm it. Hopefully someone else can chime in to confirm that for you.

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift

newbronco2

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The electric t-case in a 1997 - 2003 f150 is just a 4406 with a shift motor? I would perfer to have a electric shifted on really, it will be just one less thing I have to build from the ground up. If that is the case, that will be the way I'll go. I think.

Thanks Tim

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Well, there are two different 4406 cases. One is manual shift with a shift lever on the front side and the other is an electric shift with a shift motor on the rear side (similar to what is in the Ranger). As far as I know, you can't make a manual shift into an electric shift without replacing major components (at which point you're better off just starting with an e shift). So if you want an eshift bw4406 find one from a 97+ F150, Expedition or Navigator. I used car-part.com to locate one at a salvage yard near my sister's house a couple hours away from me. I just had to visit her to pick it up!

newbronco2

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
That is what I thought, I found one 1/2 mile down the road at my local salavge yard with 54,000 miles on it $150.00, Looks like my project is going back in the forward direction again.

Thanks for the help.
Tim

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
That price looks pretty good. I bought mine for around $125 but had closer to 100k miles.

Good luck with your build. Are you keeping the IFS front or doing an SAS? You should start a build thread on here, I'm sure a lot of people would enjoy seeing your 4bt progress, there's a lot of interest in that engine.

newbronco2

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I am keeping the IFS. I have acess to a lift so I am going to pull the cab and do it that way. I will start the a build thread when I get all of my parts here.

Tim

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
The np203, 205, 208, bw4406 should all fit between the frame rails.

The 13-45 and 13-56 need the frame notched, but will kind of fit.

I'm working on the same swap only in a '95 Explorer (same chassis).

Your going to have to modify the oil pan quite a bit to fit the engine and keep 4wd.

Check out my build thread (see link below), it should help you get started.

What AA kit are you waiting for?

newbronco2

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The kit to adapt the stock t-case to the m5r2. It is on back order untill 2/1/11.

I've already got a powerstroke starter, a m5r2, 4bt cummins. I still need a PS Vacuum pump from a cummin 6bt. I think my oil pan might work out, I am lucky my ranger does not have the axle disconnect on the right side like the explorer.

I have decided on the 4406 -- not sure, weather electric on manual. Leaning to manual, just trying to source all the parts.

Sorry to here about the altima.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
The kit to adapt the stock t-case to the m5r2. It is on back order untill 2/1/11.

I've already got a powerstroke starter, a m5r2, 4bt cummins. I still need a PS Vacuum pump from a cummin 6bt. I think my oil pan might work out, I am lucky my ranger does not have the axle disconnect on the right side like the explorer.

I have decided on the 4406 -- not sure, weather electric on manual. Leaning to manual, just trying to source all the parts.

Sorry to here about the altima.
You dont need a kit, all newer Ford tcases (except the dana20 and maybe some other odd-balls) are the same spline and bolt pattern. 6 bolt round and 31 spline.

I only needed very minor trimming to clear the axle disconnect, its the diff that REALLY gets in the way. A 3" body lift will only get you about 26" (maybe a touch more on the Ranger) from the frame to the hood. You cant mount the engine high enough to clear the diff.

4bt dimensions:

I'm have a 13-56m and a NP205, but I might go with a TOD 4406 and keep my Torque-On-Demand.

Thanks, but F@#K that Altima, It should have been driven off a cliff long ago!! :annoyed:

newbronco2

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah I agree, about the altima time to get back to work on the explore and run over the altima with it.

You should buy the wife an older audi A4 -- I have one, they are nice, can be bought cheap, 4wd, auto or stick, and best of all I heard that they share the same bolt pattern as a 4bt, and you don't need an adapter plate.....

I thought about doing it for about 10 minutes, before I decided on the ranger, I would hate to take apart a good running audi, and more importantly I would hate to waste a good 4bt on a audi.

Yeah I know I am going to have to chop up the oil pan up. Just hoping it will be pretty straight forward.

Tim

Last edited:

newbronco2

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
For those who have been following this thread, I now have a 4406 electric transfer case. I was not able to get a complete 4406 manual case so here I am. I will keep you guys updated soon when I start putting it all back together.

Thanks Tim.

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual

newbronco2

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Easy.....

I haven't started this project just yet, next weekend, I am just getting all of my peices together right now, I am just spending money and ordering parts. No point in pictures just yet.

Next weekend the cab is coming off and I am going to start taking pictures as we go.

Tim

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals