• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Moog wheel bearing & Rugged Ridge locking hubs.

scarablover99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi everyone has anyone had any issues installing the Rugged Ridge locking hub after installing a Moog hub and bearing assembly? The Ranger being serviced is a 1998 XLT 4.0.
It seemed to me that the tolerances were really tight and now the axle will not engage. I guess it is better than the axle not disengaging.
I did find a spline combination where the outer locking hub spline did not compress somewhat while installing to a point I could not see it anymore as it was being seated. I also installed a Carquest CV axle and there aren’t any issues with the mating of those two splines. That’s why I believe there is an issue with the wheel bearing hub and/or locking hub.
The right side went right together so easily I thought there was an issue when there wasn’t one. When I went to the left side I found that the old vacuum hub and the wheel bearing hub became one with itself with rust. I was fortunate that the axle and the inner bearing hub spline came out. The retainer groove was shot though, that’s the only reason the axle was replaced.
Has anyone disassembled a Rugged Ridge locking hub? This way the outer locking gear splines O.D. can be checked to the Moog hub splines I.D.
I have a few months to straighten this issue out before it starts to snow and I need the benefits of 4WD.
Thanks in advance for the help.
Paul

GodAmRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Almost sounds like you may have received a non-PVH hub, or, the axle you got may be for something else, but have similar part #'s..

Any pictures??

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals