• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel Pump Problem

Mr.Hotrod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi, i just got an 88 ford Bronco II with the 2.9 v6 that sat for like 4 years. I changed oil and it ran perfect, it drove home just fine last night with no problems. However, i drive down the road like 10 miles, shut it off when i get to the store, fire it back up and go around a corner and it dies. I leave it off for an hour, and it starts back up just fine. However, when i turned the key, the fuel pump was really loud when the key was turned foward before starting it.

I'm going to get a pump tomorrow, but i need to know where it is located. And also, could this be the problem? The fuel pump? Because if i wait an hour or so, it will run just fine for another hour, then dies. I guess the pump needs cooling down after sitting for 5 years running more than 30 minutes lol.

EDIT: The loud noise from pump is a buzz for 3 seconds, not a click click. The pump relays work fine, but it's the buzz that goes away.

Last edited:

'99 EB Explorer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
In my experience....the buzz the pump makes when you turn the key on is the pump priming the fuel system.

It can still be the problem however. Heat tends to kill motors real quick...and if it restarts after you let it sit for a while, that just lends to the possibility that it's over heating.

Also..not sure how the wiring is routed on those, but my old caprice had a point on the sending unit where the wires turned 90 degrees to enter the tank. I was informed that they were notorious for over heating and burning out at that bend....which would mimic a blown pump.

Make sure you check your power at the terminals at the pump end, and if you have power(and enough of it), then go ahead and change that pump.

Mr.Hotrod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm thinking it might be the pump or maybe the wiring you described. Although i dont know why it would overheat... Im guessing the one that buzzes is the one on the rail? Also would it fine if i just changed the one on the rail and not the tank? I also thought about the fuel inertia, but then again, i didn't even touch it or know about one until today. Both relays worked dad said, because you heard a clicking when i turned keys back and forth. Maybe the pump is just shot...

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
sounds like what my jeep did when the in tank "sock" was clogged. actually so bad that when i took it out it sucked itself together and was borderline inside out. pump is supposed to stop buzzing after 3 sec. i know on the chebbies when your pump gets loud they are about to go. most of the time they run fine though and the only problems are a few hard starts then it dies

Mr.Hotrod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Now to remember, it was just the fuel priming that was loud. I'm starting to think the frame pump is out, because i didn't hear a buzzing sound when it was running. Im hoping i dont have to drop the tank.

Duggo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Now to remember, it was just the fuel priming that was loud. I'm starting to think the frame pump is out, because i didn't hear a buzzing sound when it was running. Im hoping i dont have to drop the tank.
It is your fuel pump, and yes you have to drop the tank. Dont forget a new fuel filter while you are at it.

Mr.Hotrod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It is your fuel pump, and yes you have to drop the tank. Dont forget a new fuel filter while you are at it.
Should i replace both? Or should i replace just the one? I'll run a test and see which 1 it is...

Duggo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Should i replace both? Or should i replace just the one? I'll run a test and see which 1 it is...
Anytime you change out your fuel pump you should go ahead and change the filter while you are at it. (Unless you recently changed the filter of course.)

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I would bet that you have a bad in-tank pump.

Mr.Hotrod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well i just replaced the high pressure pump (on rail) it buzzed pretty good, and then drive another 10 miles home, no stop lights. And then i go into town with a stop light and stops here and there, go into the store, come back out and the car dies as i'm backing out. It won't prime the engine, it doesn't buzz for 3 seconds, it just clicks from the relays. So is it the in tank pump?

Last edited:

Mr.Hotrod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Dad thinks it might be the ignition that may contribute to this. Because the only the time it stops getting fuel and dies is when you shut it off after a drive, and then when you start it back up again. You can drive all day as long as the car is on without shutting it off, but as soon as you start it and try to drive it, it dies within a minute after driving around. Could this be the case?

Because i can start the car with no key, it just turns.
My dad said the same thing happened to his 76 ford. As soon as he replaced ignition control module the fuel pump never died again.

Last edited:

voodoochylde

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like either a bad TFI ignition control module or a bad in-tank fuel pump.

The TFI's are in a bad location and see really hot air. This tends to kill them prematurely.

The in-tank pump is REALLY easy to do if you lift the carpet in the rear cargo area and cut a hole in the floor. It sounds much more difficult than it really is. I just did it last week and the hole took less than 10 minutes with a cut-off wheel. The pump took about 15 minutes total after that.

I also changed my canister fuel filter and the pump on the frame rail while I was out as I was worried about the increased load a bad in-tank pump puts on the the high-pressure pump.

Mr.Hotrod

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Where is the ignition control module at? I'm leaning towards it might be that... Because you can drive all day until you shut it off and try to start it back up, you'll have to wait an hour before driving it again.

voodoochylde

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
TFI is a small rectangular critter with several wires. It hangs out on the back side of your distributor. Any auto parts store should carry the tool to remove the small bolts to separate the TFI from the dizzy.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
OK let's go back to some basic troubleshooting here. The TFI module has NOTHING to do with the fuel pumps first off. If your relays click and you don't hear the pump prime, then it's a pump problem, plain and simple. I would bet money that what's happening here is your in-tank pump is dead, and the high pressure one has enough suction to pull fuel from the tank for a while before it overheats and stops working. I have seen this multiple times over the years.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals