• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My BroncoII died

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Two of my BIIs have had a hatch over the fuel pump. I just cut a junk piece of floor and used some stainless sheet metal screws to put it in place with a lil silicone. Worked like a charm and is 1000x easier than dropping an tank, especially when PA rust is in abundance. :annoyed:

I would also recommend not using a grinder with a cutting disk or a torch to cut the opening. If there is any gas fumes present, it could be an exciting time. I've cut with a hacksaw blade before and I've done it with a sawzall. The sawzall worked pretty good, but I've also had quite a bit of experience with 'em... I didn't bother drilling holes, just plunge cut it, lol. Just remember that there is fuel lines right under there... so I was careful not to cut too deep. I can supply measurements of just where to cut and pictures if needed.

Last edited:

Spitfire1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Two of my BIIs have had a hatch over the fuel pump. I just cut a junk piece of floor and used some stainless sheet metal screws to put it in place with a lil silicone. Worked like a charm and is 1000x easier than dropping an tank, especially when PA rust is in abundance. :annoyed:

I would also recommend not using a grinder with a cutting disk or a torch to cut the opening. If there is any gas fumes present, it could be an exciting time. I've cut with a hacksaw blade before and I've done it with a sawzall. The sawzall worked pretty good, but I've also had quite a bit of experience with 'em... I didn't bother drilling holes, just plunge cut it, lol. Just remember that there is fuel lines right under there... so I was careful not to cut too deep. I can supply measurements of just where to cut and pictures if needed.
I'd like that. I need to fix my gauge float. 86 have the same tank as an 89?

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
I have a jig-saw with a metal cutting blade, just waiting till the first when I can get to the JK to get a piece to make the hatch with.

I would like to see pictures of how you did it, and a good size for it.

Robert

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual

Initial incision.

Complete with patch piece.

That's what I have up at the moment, I'll have to see about getting some other pictures of it. These pictures are from my choptop, which is missing the one bracket on the floor behind the back seats. But when you pull up the carpet, you'll want to stay about 3/4" to 1" away from that bracket. The hole is centered in the back, I'll have to get dimensions because I forget 'em.

n_grimm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Update cutout pic with my measurements

Thank you for posting the pic. Just wanted to add some measurements when I did this to my B2. I broke two saber or jig saw blades since they were too course but that's what I had. Also I should have slid some thin plywood or something on top of the tank to protect the wires etc. since I nicked them a little. I don't know why more vehicles don't have an access hole from the factory. First ones I saw were on my daughter's 98 Land Rover and my son's 92 Eagle Talon. Every pump or sending unit will fail sooner or later. The reason I removed the sending was that besides the fuel gauge not working due to a hole in the float, (which we soldered) and my fuel pressure would drop from the necessary 40lbs to almost nothing when under a hard load especially on a hill. Apparently that is when the rear pump is needed. I replaced the rear pump with a 60 psi Walbro pump and was going to bypass the front pump. I tried it with both high pressure pumps running and the pressure stays at 40 psi under a load and drops to 35 psi at an idle so I don't see any reason to remove the front pump.

Last edited:

johnsongang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Nice job, thanks for the pics! This is gonna save lots of time and knuckle busting from dropping those fuel tanks!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals