• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9L Engine Removal with Manual Trans

belovedb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I am doing the 4.0L swap and in the process of removing the 2.9L engine. It's a manual trans. The shop manual says to remove the clutch housing bolts, which I have done, and remove the hydraulic clutch hose. I am assuming that they are talking about the hose to the slave cylinder but I can not understand how this is accomplished since I can not even see the attachment point. The shop manual shows a clip so maybe it is a blind operation. Any Help???? When removing the engine does the slave cylinder stay with the housing or does it come out with the engine/clutch assy?

danger_ranger_club

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
im no expert but we took mine out a few days ago and put a new 2.9 in and all that was on the back of the motor was the clutch. so im guessing the slave was still in the tranny?

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The slave should stay w the tranny since its bolted in there. Unless it is new, I'd replace it all while its out. Ur upgrading to the 4.0 clutch anyways, right. Its better to replace it all now that its out. That's my 2 cents

belovedb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I plan to change the slave motor. If the slave motor is not attached to the engine why do I need to remove the hydrolic line?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
There is no slave MOTOR. It's a hydraulic actuation cylinder, similar to half a wheel cylinder. NOT A MOTOR.

The slave is bolted to the trans and will say with it. It's not 100% necessary to remove the line, but it might be a good idea, less chance of it catching on something and breaking.

To remove it, reach up from the bottom and feel around the 11:00 position on the bell housing, there will be a butterfly pin, pull it out and then pull up on the line. You might have to wiggle it, but it will come out.

Are you planning to swap transmissions to a stronger one? If you aren't planning on doing it now, I'd start saving up for it. The 4.0 is a drive line killer.

belovedb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, That answers my question complety. I do plan to change the transmission to the stronger Mazda M50D version. I just have to find one. The detroit area has lots of great salvage yards so I plan to search there. I did notice that there is oil under the trans pan. Anyway I am removing it for the upgrade.

lepp1892

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So you are from MI. I wish you luck on finding that transmission... I live about an hour north of Detroit and I've had to find and M50D for a 4.0 twice and both times I've had to drive like 2 hours to get it... where abouts are you from? I have a pretty beat M50D with a broken tailshaft housing if you want it.

Lancer247

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
engine and trans swap.

When i removed my transmission to do my clutch job i found it easier to actually remove the Clutch master cylinder WITH lines attached. I just removed the line going to the reservoir and plugged it quickly before air got into the line with a screw. Drop the whole trans down with the line still attached and it should not give you too much trouble. THE WORST PART about doing the trans job is bleeding it, if you are putting the tranny you have back in, on the 4.0. Pulling the clip above the slave cylinder drains all the lines and the clutch mc right onto your face. And you will have to end up taking the MC out anyway to bleed it.

If you have an M50D near you consider yourself lucky. I live in nc and have not had much luck finding one at any of the junk yards from Charlotte to Raleigh.

belovedb2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I just did some searching in Michighan and found out that there is nothing is this state. Any ideas as how to proceed? If I can find it near Michigan (like Ohio or Indiana) I could drive there, or I could have it shipped. Is there a data base to search for this, or is calling the only method?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals