• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Oil Analysis

sidepipes

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I bought a 2.9 for $150 to replace mine because it lost oil pressure. The oil and the spark plugs look like they have never been changed but the oil is not milky colored and the plugs are not oily.

What do you think about doing a oil analysis to foreseen any problems there might be? Also I could just drop the pan and check for any metal shavings and make a determination based on that. I'll be dropping the pan anyway to replace gaskets and clean.

I don't want to spent money on gaskets etc. and time if the motor doesn't last at least a few thousand miles.

Thank you,
Dennis

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
For 150 $ it is what it is. I would remove the pan and valve cover to degunk as much as possible. I would replace the rear main seal and maybe the timing belt.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It sounds like you haven't installed and run this engine yet, correct? In that case an oil sample analysis will do you no good. Sure it may have oil in it, but you know absolutely nothing about that oil. For all you know it could have been run 15K miles or have been used when it was put in the truck. For an oil sample test you need to know mileage on the oil and/or engine, if any oil was added since last fill up, and oil type among other things. before you attempt an oil analysis, you would need to install the engine, do an oil change, and put some miles on it (2500-3000 IMO).

Way I see it you have two options. Forget the gaskets and drop it in as is, or dig into it and see what you've got. If you on lt want a couple thousand miles I say do the former. If you want to keep a 2.9L and have it run a long time, then do the latter. I'd say go on and open it up and do a visual inspection. Maybe pop a main and rod cap or two and see how the bearings look. Pull the heads and get check out the cylinder walls. If everything looks good put it back together with new gaskets, and be confident that it should last a while. If it needs work, go on and rebuild it.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If you want to pick a good engine out of the junk yard using oil analysis instead of hearing it run, you might as well get out the dousing rods. It will cost less and be a bit more effective.

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
lol Nice, ADSM.

For a blind $150, put it in and cross your fingers. Why WOULDN'T you change a couple gaskets (like a rear main seal) while it's out?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
lol Nice, ADSM.

For a blind $150, put it in and cross your fingers. Why WOULDN'T you change a couple gaskets (like a rear main seal) while it's out?
I would, stupid not to so you can pull the engine and/or drop the trans right away because you didn't want to spend $20-30 when the thing was sitting on the floor.

I pulled the pan off my 302 to poke around in there to see what I had and change the gasket before I put it in. Changed the rear main and pulled the timing cover off (to replace the timing chain) and the front seal too.

For the analysis... some of the best looking oil can be in the worst engines. Guy runs it out, it makes funny noises and/or quits. Dumps in new oil desperately hoping for a quick fix but the damage is done.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
lol Nice, ADSM.
Well to be fair, statistics say that having "staffing professionals" and the person who will be directly managing the person being hired are both less effective methods of hiring for a job than drawing names out of a hat.

I figure dousing rods in a junk yard must be at least as good as drawing names out of a hat.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals