• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Serpentine Belt Tensioner + Other Ford Enjoyables

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Tackled removing the clutch, fan and shroud this weekend. Found out the clutch center bolt is left hand thread and needs to be turned CW for removal. That little gem of info was not stated in FSM but buried in one line of Haynes manual. Apparently the 4.0L and 2.5L are CCW removal.

Earl43P is right that heat is necessary to break the nut loose - at least the first time. Used a strap wrench and helper to hold the pulley while I attempted with 7/8" wrench and pipe extender. I found using a hammer on the wrench useless as all the energy from the blow is absorbed by the strap wrench flex. I don't think leaving the serpentine belt on would provide enough resistance to turning.

I used a small acetylene torch to apply the heat with some galvanized sheet for a heat shield to protect the plastic fan. Using propane, which is certainly more available to DIYr's, may not get the nut hot enough, fast enough. The longer the heat is applied the more chance of heat damage.

After breaking it loose removal is a snap. I made a pulley holding tool while I had the pulley off and will try it out and post back. But for most without the proper tools AND the not being able to remove the clutch, fan and shroud, a tool is not possible.

bucko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yours is exactly like mine, you do not need to loosen the mounting bolt on the tensioner to move the assembly, if you put a 15mm wrench on the head of the bolt holding the idler pulley to the tensioner arm and push down it will swing down to release tension on the belt, very easy once you get in there to do it.

Yes the marks on the tensioner are an acceptable range for belt tension, although I have seen several explanations for the marks.

JP02XLT
^^^ This. I was confused with the OP's reasoning of how difficult it was to move the belt tensioner (?), as putting a 15 mm wrench on the pulleys center bolt and pushing down to remove/install a belt is a 5 minute job at best.

bucko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Tackled removing the clutch, fan and shroud this weekend. Found out the clutch center bolt is left hand thread and needs to be turned CW for removal. That little gem of info was not stated in FSM but buried in one line of Haynes manual. Apparently the 4.0L and 2.5L are CCW removal.

Earl43P is right that heat is necessary to break the nut loose - at least the first time. Used a strap wrench and helper to hold the pulley while I attempted with 7/8" wrench and pipe extender. I found using a hammer on the wrench useless as all the energy from the blow is absorbed by the strap wrench flex. I don't think leaving the serpentine belt on would provide enough resistance to turning.

I used a small acetylene torch to apply the heat with some galvanized sheet for a heat shield to protect the plastic fan. Using propane, which is certainly more available to DIYr's, may not get the nut hot enough, fast enough. The longer the heat is applied the more chance of heat damage.

After breaking it loose removal is a snap. I made a pulley holding tool while I had the pulley off and will try it out and post back. But for most without the proper tools AND the not being able to remove the clutch, fan and shroud, a tool is not possible.
I posted on installing an e-fan a few weeks ago and running across the same situation with the clutch fan. In my case, the newly installed clutch fan that a service station did when the A/C compressor was installed drove me nuts with its "roar". I fugured it would be easy to remove, as it was only a few weeks old. NOT! I ended up taking it back to the service station to have them break the nut loose. I watched the tech struggle for 35 minutes, then cuss out the idiot who tightened it too tight. When I told him this service station did the work, he mumbled something and walked away. They got it loose, and even with the "tool" to hold the water pump pully and an air tool, it took them awhile.

Love the e-fan!

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I was confused with the OP's reasoning of how difficult it was
There was no reasoning involved - just a mind block about using a different method and doing no research outside FSM.

I've already given myself a dope-slap.

bucko

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
There was no reasoning involved - just a mind block about using a different method and doing no research outside FSM.

I've already given myself a dope-slap.
Certainly no reason to give yourself any dope slap...if I counted how many of those I've deserved, I'd be dead from the concusions I would have provided myself by now!

Great forum and excellent posts here to help maintain these Rangers.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals