• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What's the popping noise when I turn?

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
So I got a 99 4wd ranger. I'm curious whenever I turn left I feel a popping thumping noise, it also happens while I'm braking quickly. I was thinking cv joint but it's so loud. I checked to make sure everything was tight, what could it be?

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Well I drove it a little and it makes the noise now whenever I slightly-moderately brake, and when turning left. Doesn't really do it when turning right, and when I brake hard. I then locked my manual locking hubs in just to see if it would change the noise, and it didn't, it kept doing it under the same circumstances only, so I don't think it's the cv joints. So then I took it home and jacked it up, everything was really nice and tight except the passenger side hub bearing assembly had a little wiggle in it. It sounds and feels like it's coming from the passenger side so I think it's that. Both tie rod ends had a little movement but not very much and I've never known tie rod ends to do that. The drivers side hub assembly had no movement

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Braking in reverse?

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Just replaced the hub assemblies with timkens and it no longer does it.. Goes to show you get what you pay for, I bought some cheap GMBs and they crapped out on me like this after 3 months. I did wheel them kinda hard though so it's to be expected, hopefully these timkens will hold up well.

Just never heard a bearing do that, must of been the races are chipped or the bearings exploded.. Something crazy!

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Whatever happened to people building things strong? Now it's just a bunch of weak crap, like I've never lived in this time era but old 70s broncos, 80s Toyotas, stuff like that is built so strong, way more simple but tough and effective.. Less parts less things to break anyways.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals