• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dana 35, Camber bushings not helping?

Desertchild

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm not sure how to describe this, so I'll do my best.

My '88 BII used to be lifted with aftermarket coils, and a set of spacers (poor man's lift), and so the I-beams were at very steep angles, and the camber was positive at even a 4 degree adjustment.
Well, this last week, I put a proper lift in the truck, and once I was done, the wheels seemed to sit almost PERFECTLY neutral. However, after a quick test drive, the camber seems to be EXACTLY back where it was before, EXTREMELY positive.
I've noticed this before, the wheels seem perfect after an adjustment, then after a while I notice that the camber is positive again.
To me, it makes no sense that the camber would be exactly where it was before the drop brackets without having ever touched the Adjustable bushings. It seems as though there is something ELSE wrong with the axles that is causing the adjustment bushings useless.
Any information on this would be extremely helpful

Thanks in advance for the help!!

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
After you adjust the bushings, you MUST let the suspension re settle. Drive it around the block and check it again.

Desertchild

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I definitely understand the need to let it settle, but with the amount of difference the drop brackets made in the angles, what would cause the camber angles to stay the same??

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Depends on how much actual lift you have.

Desertchild

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry, I'm not sure I understand the quetsion?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Did you do a full realignment of the frontend after you put your brackets & everything on? If not, then that likely is your problem (bad toe alignment). The wheels are trying to drive toward or away from each other as you go down the road (putting the suspension into a pinch) which is causing the front to jack itself up like a scissors lift, in turn affecting the camber.

Desertchild

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Oh man, I could KISS you!
Brilliant!! I had never thought that the toe could affect the camber like that, but with the softer springs, and the independent beams, this makes total sense!!
I did realign everything, but only to the best of my abilities. I am going to take it to a shop tomorrow for a proper alignment, then I will update on it. Thanks again!!

bigmark303

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 2.5
Transmission
Automatic
The toe has to be very close to or exactly on 0 degrees before youll get a proper camber adjustment.

You can check the toe fairly quickly with some 2x4s and tape measure. Run a 2x4 in front of and behind both tires while tires are pointing straight forward. then run a 2x4 from the front to the rear of the tire on both sides resting on the 2x4s that run in front and behind. You pretty much make a box and make sure the 2x4 pieces that run on the side of your tire front to rear are flush with the tire. Then grab a tape measure and measure front to front of each tire and then rear to rear of each. If you are off more than 1.5" toe in or toe out camber wont be easy to adjust.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals