• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 ranger 302/ A/C?????

mopar_66757

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hello everyone, I did a 302 swap in my 88 ranger with a T-5 trans. I used a v-6 radiator, it works fine, also have stock valve covers. my truck is a non A/C cab, and my question is
1. is there enough room for the evaporator housing with the V8?

2. other than the dash climate control, is there any other inside the cab that needs to be changed?

3.compressor, and brackets? does ford use the same compressor on all vehicles?

4. If someone has done a v8 swap with A/C, Can u send me some pics.

my motor is stock so the radiator from the V6 works fine, but if there is a condenser in front of it I don't have a clue if it would keep cool. Im not sure what other info I need to show to help but I will show pics of my engine if it helps any. any info will help greatly, thanks

Attachments

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
You will need a bigger rad, that's for sure.

Also what year 302 did you put in and also is it the original belt/pulley setup?

AC is possible, but it will take a bit of work to get it in, but not impossible.

Only AC compressor that mine will have well be converted to run OBA (on board air).

I do see that you are running an HEI style dizzy too. What brand, part number, etc... are the spark plug wires and what manifolds/headers you running too?

Sent from my rooted SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

mopar_66757

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I don't remember what brand distribur it was but I just bought stock plug wires, i bought headman headers and used 24 inch glass packs, and piped it out to the rear axle for now, I'm planning on using a 4-link setup later. oh yea the engine is a 87 roller cam... I pulled it out of a ext cab f150. if i remember the casting numbers are e7te i think?? all i know is a factory roller cam. it had metric pistons rings in it. i when i rebuilt the motor i went all stock with it for now. other than headers and a dual plane intake with a 600 holley.....which is a pos. it has a dead spot in it and i can't get it out..
as for the pulleys I got aluminum single V belt off of ebay for like 10 bucks.
I was thinking if I can get a bracket off a older v belt engine, then find a 80's ranger with ac and just start robbing the housing and controls... as for the actual ac curcit switches I can just make a custom harness if i have to. it can't be that hard.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
You have a good engine, has the good heads on it but not sure if it has cast it forged pistons in it. I have an engine out of a 91 grand marque but I put an HO mustang cam in it and that put me at 200hp. Bad part is I have the e6 heads (told they give more torque?) And cast pistons.

I had a 600cfm holley on my truck but I could nt keep it in tune, was constantly having problems with it, etc... plus it was a bit much carb for a 302 so I got an edelbrock 1403 500cfm for her and have been good since, just havent had time to fine tune it. Bought a rebuilt unit from summit for $289.

Sent from my rooted SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

mopar_66757

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
later on after i get the rear suspension switched to 4 link, and relocate the battery to the rear/ get a fuel cell or just relocate the tank to the back where the spare tire goes. I plan on buying aluminium heads and different cam, but I don't want to go to radical. also plan on borrowing a friends scales and see how bad the balance is lol. try to lose as much front weight as possible. I know the 4 link will do wonders, but would like to make it fun to drive and not something that is loose as shit like it is now.... if u get too loose in the corner, u can't over steer enough to keep it under control.
I would like to get a holley 570cfm I heard good about them.
I thought about getting a small blower for it but Im not sure I want to do that with a stock bottom end? and the stock T5 trans would be gettn stressed.
I just add a lil here and there when i have the extra cash

mopar_66757

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
well i found a donor i think and Im hoping to get both doors, seat, all the A/C stuff....still has pressure in the system which is good... I might steal the tilt steering column also. the dash pad is in great shape without any cracks, mine is been chipped out and cracked all over.
all I will need to do is find a older car/truck with a 302 that has A/C and steal the compressor bracket. a friend has the truck at his salvage, I usually get whatever I want for nothing, lol.
only bad thing is the doors are electric and my truck isn't... it also has wing windows? mine don't... the truck doesn't have a manufacture tag on the door... he takes them off i think for salvage reasons??? im not sure it just don't have one and I don't know how to read the vin tag on the dash. all I now is its a 1st gen. ranger with a 2.9 v6 xlt, and the inside is way better than mine lol...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals