• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cluster swap issues

frey35423

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok so today I put an 01 Mazda b series cluster in my 95 ranger. I have 2 obvious issues. My tach is not reading properly which I'm assuming is because the cluster is from a v6 and mine is 4cyl. Also my temp gauge is staying at 3/4 of the way up the gauge. Any help is greatly appreciated

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You are right about the tach issue. The temp gauge is probably from a different ohm range on the senders between the two years.

frey35423

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok so as far as fixes? And if I put a different cooling temp sensor with the right ohm range will it fux with the computer response?

Crossthreader

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Changing the temperature sensor shouldn't have any effect on the computer since there are separate sensors for gauge and computer.

This is from the 99 wiring diagram, but I think it will apply to yours. The 6 cyl tach has a black/yellow wire connected to C216 pin 8 on the cluster. Remove it to work with 4 cyl. Don't worry too much about the left over wire, it is just a ground.

I just realized you are talking about a 4 cyl truck with a 6 cyl tach. The info I gave is for the other way around. OOOOOOOOOPS

Last edited:

frey35423

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok so I need to add the black/yellow wire? And ground it out?

frey35423

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well I've been doing some tinkering and have found a yellow "knob" on the back of my tach which adjusts its...sensitivity?(for lack of better terminology) and with it turned all the way to one side I can not rev above 3k however with it all the way to the other side I can get up to the othe side I can get to about 4800 before I "bounce". With an aftermarket tach wired up I found that my idle is about right however as I rev up the stock one still goes slower than my aftermarket one does this little "knob" have any more adjustability or is there still more that I have to do? And if you have a pic or link to that wiring diagram it would be more than appreciated. Thank you for the help so far btw

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals