• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 vs 4.0 Which is Better?

dmt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 cyl
Transmission
Automatic
I did some searching on this issue, but could not find what I was looking for. What is the difference between the 2 V6's that Ford has in the Ranger. Is the 4.0 designed for more hauling and the 3.0 for better mileage?

I'm in the market to get another one and not sure which route I should/would go. I mostly use a truck for small jobs (picking up a Christmas tree, load of mulch etc...). I figure I will go the 4 cyl route, but is there benefit to a V6 besides more power like it being a more reliable engine?

Thanks

3literEarl91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 3.0 and it has never given me a bit of trouble. it has over 300000 miles and does not use oil and makes no noise other that my exhaust. I have had no exp with a 4.0 but from what i have learned here it is not a bad motor either.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
I've owned both (still have the 4.0l ranger), the 4.0l has more torque, but the 3.0l got 2-3mpg better. They both had about the same mileage (120k+) on them when I drove them, the 3.0l used a quart of oil every 1,000 miles, the 4.0l used a quart every 4-5,000 miles, but that could all be how they were maintained/driven before I had them.

What year truck do you plan on buying? Personally if I were to buy another Ranger it would be a '02+ standard cab with the 2.3 duratec and a 5-spd.

Last edited:

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Depends on what you want in a truck. You want a workhorse you can use and abuse, or a reliable daily driver that can stil pull a little weight around? After you decide, the choice would be obvious.

4.0~ Has it's quirks. Has some head issues. The stock castings like to crack(most likely after overheating). The push rods have a wearing problem also. These issues can be solved by aftermarket cast heads and hardened push rods and rockers. Nice 10" clutch. Gets ok mileage(20mpg) and good low end torque.

3.0~Was a good/fresh design from the start. Doesn't have a too many problems. Known for lasting a long time....IF you keep it well maintained. Known for it's higher powerband. Very good cruiser. Get's about 23-24mpg.

dmt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 cyl
Transmission
Automatic
What year truck do you plan on buying? Personally if I were to buy another Ranger it would be a '02+ standard cab with the 2.3 duratec and a 5-spd.
That would be ideal if I am able to find in the $3k and under range. I am currently looking and when I find a deal I cannot pass I plan on buying. I figured I would get the lowdown on the 3.0 and 4.0 in case one pops up.

97ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yeh I am very happy with my 4.0, but for being a Daily driver, it often has more power than necessary. I have towed with it a few times, but I could have avoided that had I had a smaller V6. I do like the torque of the 4.0. I ususally keep it below 2500 rpms to keep mpg reasonable. Mine will drink fuel if its above 3k. the 3.0 seems to be a rev-happy motor. Not ideal for towing, but for you, it will be more than enough. I say go with the 4cyl. The gas mileage will certainly be worth the "benefits" of the V6's!

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
If you're buying something older than when they introduced the flex-fuel 3.0 (I think that would be pre-98), I'd probably look for a 4.0L for hauling duty. Although I have no personal experience with the 3.0's of that vintage.

For hauling, IMHO, I love my 3.0L with a 5-speed. It's pulled everything I've ever threw in the bed or hooked to it. Would be nice to have a lil more low-end grunt, but it gets by. Heck, I get 15 mpg highway towing a Bronco II behind me with it!

That's what just over a ton of 2B limestone looks like in the bed... hauled it just fine. Of course, I had to upgrade my springs to a custom leaf pack not too long after that... guess stock Ranger springs are made more for weekend warriors rather than someone to use it like a truck all the time...

thegoat4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
The 4 cyl is dead reliable as well. For light hauling a v6 isn't worth the gas mileage penalty.
Also the 4.0 is not real common in 2wd Rangers. It was available but you won't find many. Probably half the 4wd's you'll find will have a 4.0. A lot of 2wd's will have the 3.0, especially in Supercab models.

Hawker

Reaction score
I had the 3.0 supercab new in 02 until I bought the 08 with a 4.0. I think the 3.0 was a fine engine and worked well in the the truck. Had a bit of a power limited situation loaded going thru the mountains in WV, but generally always gave me 23 -25 mpg. Mine had the towing package and 4:11 rear end which kept it cranked up pretty tight at speed, but it never seemed to bother it. I never had to add a drop of oil between 5K mile changes. The 4.0 gets 21 mpg consistantly and doesn't use any oil either (I only have 12K on it now). It seems uneffected by loaded or not and I believe it can handle about anything you would throw at it. Back in 96 I had a 4 cyl 5 spd. and that was troublefree as well. So my answer is that there's no wrong choice if you find a nice truck.

russjd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
3.0 vs 4.0

4.0 is the best pick...
3.0 vs 4.0 mpgs about same...
the 3.0 is ~same power as 2.3 4cyl !
so its a no-brainer

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
holy necro bump.

txgocartB3000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What's 6.5 years between friends?

Ray

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals