• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Is anyone experienced in unlocking extra cores from the processor?

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have just gotten all of my parts and assembled the computer, installed windows and started on the updates and such. Then i installed the SmartTune software from my motherboard's disk to unlock the extra cores. Then i went into advanced settings and clicked enable to unlock the other cores. It of course got me to restart the computer and i did. But when it restarted, there was no display at all. Monitor just stayed black. So im thinking maybe i got a dead core, but idk how im supposed to change any settings if i dont get the slightest option to do so. Im not a computer wiz when it comes to this stuff, so i figured i would post here to see what you guys think.

My processor is the AMD Phenom x2 555, and my motherboard is a gigabyte M68MT-S2P. You are supposed to be able to unlock the 3rd and 4th cores if you are lucky enough to make it a triple or quad core. The easytune program came on the motherboard's install disk. I also have the GTX 460 1gig video card if you think this could be related to the video card in some weird coincidence. But i tried both the motherboard's and the video card's monitor outputs.

If you need any other info just lemme know and ill post it up. This is my first time building a computer, so i will probably bring it to someone that knows this stuff well, if i can find someone, so they can check if i did everything right. Dont know many so i figured i'd ask here and see if theres any chance someone ran into the same thing or just knows lol :p

Thanks,
Daven

Last edited:

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Oh, and this may mean nothing but it doesnt make any new noises or something. The case sounds like it did before. Its just kinda creepy like the video card isnt sending anything out. But like i said, i tried both onboard video and my GTX.

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
Whats the benefit of turning a dual core into a quad core?

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Whats the benefit of turning a dual core into a quad core?
Well... lol Its pretty straightforward... When you are building on a budjet and still want performance... Buying a quad core for a little over 100 bucks...

Instead of being a 3.2GHz dual core, it is a 3.2GHz quad core. In theory twice as good if u get lucky

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok so i just got a bit of time to attempt to figure this out. I tried using a different monitor that i know works (this one), i tried both the onboard video and my video card's slots and nothing. It looks to definately be the processor, so how can i change the settings back? Do i need to get another processor in there, then change the settings and put back in mine (Or something to that effect)?

Must be a bad core or bad settings. Or i just did it wrong and need to do it the right way instead. Either way, first thing is i need to be able to do something... ANYTHING... lol :p

EDIT: I also checked and made sure all the connections were solid within the case

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Not really familiar with what you were trying to do, but I'm sure someone on here has tried it...if it's not too new of a Mobo...

Anyway, since you can't see what is happening due to the monitor not working, I'd say you're going to have to maybe take the board in to have it tested or return it to the manufacturer...

Did you actually go into the BIOS to change things or were you using the software program (not even sure if the newer boards have BIOS settings that you can adjust...

You might want to check on-line to see if anyone else is having the same problem or if there is a fix...and if you have on-board video, make sure you remove the video card...that might set things to working right away...if not...patience is a virtue with computers...:)

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Everything was working before. I used some software that came with the motherboard. I didnt go into the BIOS because i thought that this was all i had to do... Never again... lol

Its not my monitor. I've tried other mouse/keyboards just incase too. I will try taking out the video card and trying onboard again after school. I've checked all connections and everything checked out good. I just need to reset that setting i did and then try thru the BIOS instead like i should have.

Anyone know how i can get to my BIOS when it isnt sending any picture of anything to the monitor? Had this problem when the processor wasnt in perfect and it made a high pitched whine... I put it in like it should and it went good. Now it is doing the same thing picture-wise and only making that whine a few times when i start it (a few seconds apart). I dont have another processor to swap in and try. But if i can get intot the settings and remove that program or setting or whatever, i would be good :/

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Blind navigation of the bios is only possible if you have screen shots of the bios and can maybe verify where you are in the BIOS (some mobos beep when you do something)...otherwise...I wouldn't even attempt it...

If you unhook the video card it may help...all you have to do is start it up once the card is out...if that doesn't work...well...warranty?

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Blind navigation of the bios is only possible if you have screen shots of the bios and can maybe verify where you are in the BIOS (some mobos beep when you do something)...otherwise...I wouldn't even attempt it...

If you unhook the video card it may help...all you have to do is start it up once the card is out...if that doesn't work...well...warranty?
Lol i bought from NCIX.com so im not exactly sure how warranty is there. It was working before tho so it might not be able to do that. Is there anything i can do to figure out if i just am not getting picture? Like, im pretty sure this is just all related to the processor since it seems to be acting like its not recongnizing it. Any chance u know what im talking about? lol Like trying to turn on a computer without the processor... Just does nothing but the fans and lights and everything are all going

Jaymz9350

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
You need to clear the CMOS

This will reset the BIOS to default settings and should solve your problem.

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You need to clear the CMOS

This will reset the BIOS to default settings and should solve your problem.
Ok so how do i do this exactly? Seems a bit sketchy lol. Do i unhook everything from the motherboard first? I think i know what to do... but just incase lol... So i just take a screwdriver and touch the 2 metal things together? How do i know when it is done (Sparks)? Will this wreck the motherboard or any other components? Is this just taking the power stored to remember the information and shorting it out so its dead and earased until i turn on the power again?

Sorry... Just wanted to fully understand the process before i start effing around with my new motherboard and computer lol

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
Use a jumper. Little black / white / tan plastic thing with two metal lined holes in it. Place it over the two pins to short them. Turn the computer on, wait 10 seconds, turn it off. Usually you can get jumpers from a computer store for free, and your motherboard should come with at least one. If you see sparks, it becomes a warranty issue. There is only 1.5 volts there, so sparks are BAD.

This can be done without removing anything from the board. A wire will do the same thing, as will a screwdriver, but DON'T bend anything in there, just short it.

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I did like the picture said and it didnt work. But u said to do it with the computer on... what do you mean? the picture says to unplug it. So you are saying to take my screwdiver (cant find any short thing), have the computer on and hold the screwdriver on the 2 pins for 10 seconds? Isnt it very bad to have power on and do it? lol

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
nevermind. I just got what u were saying... turned it on again and it freakin worked!!! I've never been so freakin happy to see the little white letters xD

Thanks alot guys. So unlocking the cores should be done thru the BIOS? How do i do it without what just happened happening again?

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Sorry, was going to mention the reset on the CMOS...haven't done any computer work for a while so it slipped my mind...glad to see that it worked...

As for trying to do this again...lol...at least you know how to undo it...and if you go into the BIOS or CMOS settings you might find what you're looking for...but if it's been done before by someone else you can pretty much guarantee that it's posted on the internet...why not give that a try...they often post step-by-step instructions...or it might be on an end-user page somewhere...

Google is your friend...sometimes...:)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals