• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2006 Ranger - Suspension/Handling Issue

absolutesantaja

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi I have a 2006 Ranger 2wd for my daily driver. Starting around a month ago I began having stability issues driving on the interstate where the truck would move/drift sideways anytime a large truck or gust of wind would hit it.

Since then I've replaced tires, ball joints, control arms, shocks, and even had the truck aligned. I've had the truck for several years and it's definitely something new but I'm running out of thing a to replace. Wheel bearings on the front are less than a year old and don't seem to have any play and the tie rods appear nice and tight as well.

As a side note after having the tires replaced I do have some vibration as if the tires were out of balance but the tire shop is insisting they're balanced properly. I'm suspicious that I may have a warped rim but the previous tires didn't vibrate that bad.

Thanks

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Any time a large gust of wind or a large truck passing you will cause the vehicle to move. That is normal. Why did you replace these parts?? You have over 200k on the truck? If it were a vibration issue or real bad shacking issue, or every time you applide the brakes the truck changed directioons real bad I would say that was a problem. I can see wanting to inspect suspension parts...but not for a gust of wind. Every car or truck I have ever owned has been effected by a large gust of wind or a large truck passing close by will do the same.

:icon_confused::icon_confused:

absolutesantaja

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The truck has 140k on it and I'm familiar with the normal wind issues on the ranger. Whatever is going on here is very recent and my brothers 2011 doesn't handle this badly. This is when a semi passes you have to fight to keep the truck on the road. There is no pulling it other odd behavior on breaking and it doesn't seem to be pulling normally.

I've personally out 115k outta the 140k and something is just off.

Thanks

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
My dad's 2010 F150 Raptor gets blown around by a big gusts of wind. I drove his truck a few times this months when we had some real bad storms here in Florida. I thought my 99 Ranger was bad in heavy rain storms....lol

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Can't really help the the wind/moving the truck around. I would have a good shop (not the one that sold you all those parts) check the toe in/out and caster either one of those can cause the wandering around. My Granddaughter's B2200 had armstrong steering. Put power steering on it. It wandered all over the place (very unstable on the highway). Finally learned/figured out that the caster settings for power steering was way different than for manual steering. Adjusted to correct settings and everything is good.

But, the tires can be out of balance or out of round too. Couple of stories.

Put new tires on the 91, it hopped all over the place. They rebalanced them twice. Finally, they replaced two of them. Problem went away.

Second, new tires on wife's Pilot. It had tire vibration. They rebalanced them, worse vibration. Balanced them again, same problem. Took it to Honda, they could not find anything wrong; except, the tires were out of balance. Rebalanced them and everything is good..... Not all tire shops know what they are doing.

1996xlt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Sway bar end-links or bushings toast? Just a guess, given everything else you've replaced.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Did you check the rear end? a worn or damaged spring eye bushing or hanger might cause it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals