• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

302 heads on 351m?

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
hey guys, im wondering if 302 heads will fit on my 351m? i am pretty sure they will, since the 351c heads fit both the 351m and 302, but most of all, if they heads do fit, will there be any advantages/disadvantages? i have a set of 302 heads that are ported and polished from an 87 5.0 HO and the heads in my 351m have never been off or polished or cleaned up and pretty much every exhaust stud is twisted off in them so they need to come off anyways. so im wondering if these 87 302 heads would work for me. thanks!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well it would increase compression which would increase power. If it works.

The only problem that I can see that you are likely to encounter is head bolts. I know on the Windsor engines the 351 head bolts are bigger around than the 302 bolts. I don't know if that carries over to the M block or not, but I would guess it does. My suggestion would be to spend the $2 to get a head bolt and see if it fits through the hole in the 302 head.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Are regular grade 8 bolts good enough for the heads or do it have to be head bolts?

v-8power

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You should post this question in the v8 forum. The 351M is a different monster compared to the windsor block engines.

Boggin

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
i know the engines are different. just wondering if it could work, and never though of posting it there at that time

stevealvey24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Theres a couple things that are different if I'm remembering right. First you will have to drill the heads for 1/2" bolts as 302's are 7/16". Also if I remember right the intake is a different bolt pattern and I'd say theres not an intake available to fit the large width of the 351/400 block.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
and something about water passages at the front of the heads. welding holes on one surface and making new holes on the other surface. I'd check the compression ratio and chamber size on both heads as there may be nothing to gain.

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
If it were a windsor, yea...not really sure about the M

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals