• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

lagging

Brian Benjamin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
2000 Ranger 4.0 was skipping bad.changed plugs,wires,coil pac,and fuel filter,which came out lookin like chocolate milk.bad skip gone but now hesitant.Any suggestions?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What looked like "chocolate milk"?

MAF sensor often needs cleaning, especially for 4.0l computers

MAF sensor reports air volume to the computer so it can maintain a 14:1 ratio for air:fuel.
Since there would be a lag in response time between you opening throttle plate(foot on the gas) and MAF sensor detecting higher air flow, the TPS(throttle position sensor) was added.
TPS is similar to accelerator pump on carb, it allows computer to respond instantly to driver input, give that extra squirt of fuel, like accelerator pump did, when you press down on the gas pedal.
TPS sensor is very easy to test with a volt or ohm meter, it works the same as a volume control or a light dimmer, simple variable resistor.

NEVER EVER change a sensor without testing it first, EVER!
A $25 volt/ohm meter will save you $100's dollars in replacing perfectly good sensors.
50% of the sensors replaced by professional mechanics were not bad, but they still charged the customer, lol.
90% of sensors replace by DIYers were not bad.
Ever read a post like "I changed the TPS, the coil, the MAF sensor, the IAC Valve, but still have the problem??"
This is someone who should have spent $25 on a meter and saved himself some money and time.

Your issue could also be air:fuel mix related, engine is running too lean or too rich so hesitates when extra air is added(throttle plate opens)
Has your MPG changed recently?

If your spark plugs were black then you have been running rich or burning oil, swapping out spark plugs doesn't change anything, underlying problem is still there.
The O2 sensors also probably have a nice coating of "black stuff" if spark plugs did, so they should be cleaned, not sure it that's even possible, or replaced, but at least pull one out and have a look at it.

I assume the Check Engine Light(CEL) comes on with the key and then shuts off as it should, and that the CEL hasn't come on while driving?

Last edited:

Brian Benjamin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Just bought the truck a few days ago.was skipping real bad so I changed plugs n wires,but no the plugs weren't covered with soot.The fuel filter when Ichanged it out was full of cchocolate milk colored fuel. Also cleaned MAF sensor..The bad skip is gone now its just on take off it hesitates n flutters like its getting no gas..I put fresh gas n a can of sea foam cleaner in it ...now wondering if I just need to wait n see if this clears it up...And no,no engine light on,and no codes when checked

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, let the Seafoam clean the fuel system for a bit, I would do a 60 mile, or more, trip at highway speeds to get engine heated up and injectors flowing at maximum.

Brian Benjamin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well its not good...I did a compression test n found out that #4 cylinders only carrying 80 pnds pressure n #5 is only carrying 25 pnds

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well its not good...I did a compression test n found out that #4 cylinders only carrying 80 pnds pressure n #5 is only carrying 25 pnds
Thanks for the update and sorry for the results

But may just be the head, they tend to crack on the 4.0l OHV engines, between the valve seats.

Brian Benjamin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
OK, I'm going to salvage yard to get another head, thing is they ask in if its standard emissions or metric...how do I tell which it is????

wmhuckabee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ron, I have the issue you described above. So what you think my issue is? i know the number 5 cylinder is dead. Spark plug comes out black. Truck exhaust smells like fuel, really rich burn!! It has above 100 when I do compression test but that's after 5-6 cranks. No CEL

Brian Benjamin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
2000 Ford Ranger4x4 ..speedometer not working..abs light on...changed vss..no fix..went to change ABS control module....now the weird part....walked entire salvage yard and not one 2000 ranger had a abs module ....took one off a 98 explorer. but still no help......and also if I plug the module in I can't get truck out of park.. So I run it unplugged ..just no speedometer.... Help b greatly appreciated guys....

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2000 Ford Ranger4x4 ..speedometer not working..abs light on...changed vss..no fix..went to change ABS control module....now the weird part....walked entire salvage yard and not one 2000 ranger had a abs module ....took one off a 98 explorer. but still no help......and also if I plug the module in I can't get truck out of park.. So I run it unplugged ..just no speedometer.... Help b greatly appreciated guys....
2000 Ranger have a connector under drivers seat that is a know issue
C309

Read here, this is the TSB Ford released about it: http://www.fordrangerforum.com/electrical-tech/16083-technical-service-bulletin-2000-2001-ranger-electrical-connector.html

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals