• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

94 ford 4.0 vacuum???

Tbarnes93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Every diagram I looked at for this year says I have an egr and a evr but I cannot locate either. Here are the pictures that follow my vacuum except for the canister side I know that is right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good pics :)

My '94 4.0l doesn't have an EGR system either, at that time it was a by State requirement in the US.

The EGR system lowers NOx levels when engine is under load, they were first used in 1973.
They were added to engines as needed based on changing federal and state emissions levels each year.

By product of using an EGR system is reduced pinging/knock(pre-ignition) because cylinder temperature is lowered.
The point of an EGR system is not to "reburn" exhaust gas to make it cleaner, when you add exhaust gas to the air/fuel mix in a cylinder it lowers the cylinders temperature, yes odd effect, lol, add hot gas to lower temp???
The lower cylinder temp lowers NOx levels.
And since pre-ignition is caused by heat igniting the air/fuel mix before the spark plug does, it also reduces pinging/knocking.

Because of stricter emission standards most engines now have EGR systems.
I believe any vehicle sold in Calif. had to have an EGR system since 1973, including the '94 Ranger 4.0l

Tbarnes93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Okay I see so I wouldn't have a evr either? Does my vacuum look correct? I had the fuel regulator unhook and had the vacuum hooked to the nipple next it on the intake so I figured I might have messed something else up lol

Tbarnes93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A little off topic but I was trying to do a cylinder balance test with my obd1 scanner and couldn't get it to work is the 94 4.0 sequential or batch injected?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Okay I see so I wouldn't have a evr either? Does my vacuum look correct? I had the fuel regulator unhook and had the vacuum hooked to the nipple next it on the intake so I figured I might have messed something else up lol

No, no EVR either or DPFE :)

Yes, everything looks fine.

The "nipple next it" is the test port for fuel pressure in injection system, it is called a schrader valve, same type of valve is used on your tires.
If you have an old tire valve cap you might want to put it on there, having dirt in the valve won't hurt anything unless you want to test the fuel pressure at a later date, then they are a PITA to clean out, lol.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
A little off topic but I was trying to do a cylinder balance test with my obd1 scanner and couldn't get it to work is the 94 4.0 sequential or batch injected?

Look at the fuel injector wiring, each injector will have a Red wire, look at the color of the other wire on at least 3 injectors, if you see two wires of the same color then it is Batch fire only, i.e. the PCM only has 2 wires to control 6 injectors so fires 3 injectors at the same time, Batch fire.

If 3 injectors have 3 different colored wires then it can be sequential injection, PCM will have 6 injector wires, one for control of each injector.
PCM can run in Batch fire through even with the sequential wiring, Batch fire is default setting if PCM gets confused, lol.

My '94 4.0l is Batch fire only.

In '95 when Ford switched to newer PCM(EEC-V, OBD II) they also added a Cam position sensor(CPS) and most if not all engines were sequential injection.

While sequential injection can be done with just the CKP(crank position) sensor, it works much better if Cam position info is available.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
My 94 is sequential fire. California Emissions required sequential back then, but from what I can find all the Explorers used SEFI in 94, and my setup is mostly Explorer parts.

The best way to be sure is to reach down behind the intake and feel for a cam sensor. No cam sensor means batch fire. It also means no cylinder balance test.

Dazzlin' Dave

06/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The pics you posted are of the Heat Riser System (runs hot air from around the exhaust manifold into the intake in order to warm up the engine faster... pos I got rid of mine!)
I couldnt find an EGR valve on my 94 4.0ohv... maybe they thought of a better system?
The purpose of an EGR is to reduce the combustion temps so the motor won't produce NOx (in other words Nitrogen components that contribute to Acid Rain)
Is there a problem you're having?

Tbarnes93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah hesitation on warm start starting to be cold start to was thinking vacuum leak but I guess it's either my fuel pump or tps

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Could also be a cam sensor. On the 4.0 usually the first noticeable symptom of a dying cam sensor is a hesitation.

Tbarnes93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't have a cam sensor

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
...having dirt in the valve won't hurt anything unless you want to test the fuel pressure at a later date, then they are a PITA to clean out, lol.
Might not be the case for all of them, but my valve is threaded into the fuel rail. Just have to be prepared for the pressure behind it. It'll blow the valve away if you're not careful. Besides wasting gas and polluting the environment. They are much easier to clean when you can get to the back side.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals