• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New old guy with new to me old Ranger

longdx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 16v
Transmission
Automatic
First off,

Greetings from Anne Arundel County MD. I recently purchased a 1999 XLT extended cab 4x4 automatic with the 3.0L engine. I previously had a 1997 Ranger 2.3L/5 speed regular cab that I regret selling.

I have always had a beater pickup for HD/Lowes runs and the occasional dump run. My last truck was a 2001 GMC Sonoma that I absolutely hated and decided to stick with the Ranger since my last one treated me well.

Future plans with the truck include addressing the paint issues (Ford peeling white paint) and rustproofing the frame. I plan on keeping the suspension stock but may try to eek out some more hp out of the 3.0L

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Welcome to TRS~!

Sounds like a good project truck...I'm sure you will appreciate the extra space the extended cab gives and the 3.0 is a step up from the 2.3...

One thing to check out before doing any mods is the cable stretch. I didn't think this applied to the V6s but a friend brought her 1998 over for me to look at and one thing I noticed was about an inch of play in the gas pedal. She mentioned the lack of power and I was surprised to find the play...a couple of zip ties will bring it into WOT range again...so worth checking out.

There is an excellent write up by CVAR on here about how he did his frame restore. I did mine too but didn't document it...but if you have any kind of experience with doing this it won't be hard...just nice to see other people's work to appreciate the work involved...

Anyway...enjoy...good to see other old farts keeping themselves busy...lol

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Welcome aboard!

longdx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 16v
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the replies guys. I have been lurking for a while before purchasing my truck and this forum has been a great resource.

AzLizard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 2.8
Transmission
Automatic
Howdy abd welcome. :beer:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals