• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

In Need of Serious Help With Cam Shaft Sensor and Syncro Replacement.

mr110

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi All,

So my daily started throwing codes for a Cam Shaft Position Sensor.

I looked it up on here and found the instructions for replacement, ordered the new sensor and syncro and got to work removing it.

I set the crank shaft to to 10 degrees off dead center. With the Zero on the pulley aligned with the crankshaft position sensor. Disconnected the negative terminal and a few connections to gain access to the synchronizer, removed the sensor and noted its position.
The problem came when i got ready to install the new one with the position tool. l i realized they were exact opposites. Am i 180 degrees off with the alignment of the crankshaft or is mine completely shot and my timing is ruined. This is my daily, I'm desperate for help to get to work in the morning.

Do i rotate the crank 180 degrees the and install the new one? Pull out the current one and replace with the new one and hope its all good...do i have the wrong part. im just completely lost with this one.

[/IMG]

This is my current one, note the position of the half circle. This is the position with the crank shaft rotated to 10 degrees off top center.

This is my replacement, note the position of the half circle as aligned with the alignment tool.

mr110

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i just realized how massive these images are. i cant seem to figure out how to make them smaller. sorry for the inconvenience

mr110

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
thanks for the video. my worry is that the alignment tool aligns my interrupter 180° the opposite direction. not that the syncro is a few degrees off of the 60°.

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You need TDC compression. Are you sure you're on #1 at TDCC?

I'd start over with setting TDC on #1 at the compression stroke then see there things line up.

mr110

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have the 0 degree mark on the crank pulley lined up directly below the sensor. That should mean it is a 10 degrees off top dead center, which i was reading in the install tutorials.

Is that wrong? do i need to keep rotating it or another full rotation?
Also im rotating it from below the truck by hand, is their an easier way which would allow me to also be able to feel the compression stroke on 1st cylinder?

2trux

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9 L
Transmission
Manual
There is TDC on compression stroke then on the next revolution there is TDC on exhaust stroke. The crankshaft turns twice for each revolution of the camshaft. If the cams are 180 out you are on the exhaust stroke. Turn the crankshaft one more revolution.

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There are two two TDC's at the same mark, one for compression and one for exhaust. You need to make sure you're on compression. You need to remove the plug from #1 and determine when the piston is on the up stroke for compression, then align the mark to TDC.

It's easier with all the plugs removed to rotate the engine, but a simple way is to hold your finger over the #1 plug hole and feel the compression. There are other ways that you can Goggle.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals