• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

88 Ranger Brake pedal goes all the way to the floor

88 XLT Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Question?

I have a 88 Ranger 4x4 with power brakes I had the left rear brake cylinder blow apart. I replaced it now when you brake the pedal goes to the floor slowly not all the way as the front brakes are woking enough to stop the truck. If you pump twice it brakes hard and normal. I bleed the brakes myself as I have no one to help me. I did it by pumping and putting a crow bar with pressure agenced the brake pedal. You think there is still air in the lines? is there a tool to where you can bleed the brakes alone? my dad and both brother died not long ago I am kinda alone on stuff as this

Last edited:

hottpotato65

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
the expensive hard plastic vacuum pump from Autozone OEM 19.99 :D

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I used the One-Man bleeder kit...sold in Canadian Tire in Canada...and it worked pretty good...

It sounds like the brakes need to be bled again though...with the bleeder kit I used you can sit and watch the bubbles...oh, and you do need to pump the brakes, but not hold in the pedal with those kits...

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
The best way is to have someone pump and hold the pedal for you as you open the bleeder. Maybe you can get someone at the part store to do it it only takes a few minutes make sure the master is always full pump the pedal 3 times and hold open the bleeder till it stops flowing and close it before they release the pedal. Bleed all of the lines furthest to closest until you get fresh fluid with no bubbles. If your brake light stays on do the same thing just get a fitting wrench and at the master crack the line going to the front brakes while pushing the pedal and let i bleed slow until the light goes out and tighten the fitting. Do that until the light stays off.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Keep the cover on the master cylinder when your pumping.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals