• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A4LD vacuum modulator replacement question

mazdab40004x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I'm finally getting around to replacing the vacuum modulator on my 1994 B4000. I've been seeing trans fluid in the vac lines for ages and it keeps making the lines soft and blowing them off at the intake.

I took a quick look under the truck today and I can see the modulator, but I don't think there is any way I can get my hands or tools in there to change it. There's like 1/2"of clearance next to the catalytic converter. Given that the cats are 23 years old I don't think there's any way I'm getting them off without doing serious damage to either them or myself or both.

Can someone please tell me there's another way to change this $15 part without replacing $200 in other parts that don't really need changing and a trip to the ER? Pics would be sweet. The haynes manual is basically worthless and the only mention I can find in the official ford service manual has the entire trans on the bench when the modulator is removed.

mplummer08

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
B2s have an access panel on the transmission hump. So do explorers if I'm not mistaken, can't say for sure on the B400s though.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

mazdab40004x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Ah, ok. I guess pulling up carpet in the cab is easier than fighting rusty bolts underneath. Hopefully that access panel is there! If anyone can confirm it's there on the ranger at least it would be appreciated. Thank you!

mplummer08

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
For my B2 I was able to pull the modulator from underneath without removing any exhaust. I just had to go at it blind and snake my arm between the exhaust and the frame with an extension to get it out.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

mazdab40004x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Access panel was there. Didn't have to remove the seats. Just pulled them all the way back. Undid the door trim and kick panels then pulled the carpet back to get to it.

The hardest part was getting those four screws out of the plate. One of the threaded clips broke as I was removing the screw but luckily the others were ok and it was loose enough to slide the panel away.

There was about 6 inches on dried mud packed in on top of the trans. I had to chip it away with a screwdriver and then clean it up with brake cleaner before attempting to remove the modulator.

I was a little unprepared for how much fluid came out of that hole when I pulled the modulator. Lost about a quart before I got the replacement in place. Was careful to not lose the little plunger thingy. Put it in the new modulator with a little Vaseline to hold it in place.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals