• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

fuel pump bad

redneck105

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Okay so i posted a thread earlier and got some things straightened out so i have started a new one because i have older problem that has gotten worse. My problem is my truck will idle fine but as soon as i press the gas it chokes out and starts bucking and popping in the intake. I have reolaced the map sensor, ignition switch, both relays, fuel pressure regulator and iacv. I havent replace the fuel pump in tank yet because i can hear it run. I did however replace the inline fuel pump as the previous owner took it completely off. So i cut a hole in my bed, pulled out fuel pump from tank and gave it juice to see if it worked and it runs but it makes a chattering noise kind of like the sound of a bad ball bearing i have already ordered a new one from rock auto but i am stressed out as i have been fooling with this truck for a month now could anyone me if this sound means my fuel pump is bad

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
What about your fuel filter, have you replaced it?

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
A good pump should not chatter, but should run smoothly. It is bathed in fuel which does two things: 1)cool the motor, and 2)provide a bit of lube to 'everything'. Not too sure the latter is necessary.
Anyway, I would do a pressure and delivery volume test. Use a gauge with a 'bleed', enable the pump using the OBD connector, or jumper the relay as you will, and measure un-regulated pressure. Open the bleed with the pump running, and catch fuel over a measured time frame. Do some math. If you get more than 3 gpm, you could drive 60 mph with 20 mpg economy and have sufficient fuel flow. {60 mph / 20 mpg = 3 gal/h}
If insufficient, it can be the 1)pressure pump, 2)lift pump in tank or 3)filter. Other things are pretty esoteric.
tom

Mikel89us

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L (2.5L soon)
Transmission
Manual
You should never consider it ok to have the minimum to cruise. You need to know how much it needs at max power, and shoot for more than that. It takes .5 pounds of fuel for a stock 2.3 to make 1 hp for one hour. Its 6.15 pounds per gallon of gas. And we are gonna say its got 100hp to keep it simple, (it should be 95-105)therefore it needs to flow 8gallons per hour to support the engine.

redneck105

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Well after replaceing iacv, map sensor, o2 sensor, fuel pressure regualtor, high pressure fuel pump, in tank fuel pump, fuel filter turns out on the line after the high pressure fuel pump there is a small metal filter looking thing i took it off tried to blow through it and my face was probably beet red trying to blow through this thing its no wonder this truck was starving for fuel now to charge the battery and see how she runs with all these new parts

redneck105

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Now it wont start at all and its getting good fuel pressure

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals