• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

spindle bearing failure

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so ive noticed that im having a problem with my spindle bearings. i have to tear the front end apart after every trip to regrease them. if i go without regreasing them and make 2-3 trips to the mountains, when i tear it apart there completely froze up and i have to soak them and regrease them.

is this common? should i change to like lucas heavy duty grease? what is the proper technique for greasing them? i get them rolling with pb blaster then try and roll grease into them and i just load them up with grease during install.

keep in mind this isnt even 1000 miles of driving, this is like 2 tanks of gas and there froze up.

dsltech83

Ford Technician
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
have they been replaced? Are the little rubber seals on the stub shaft still intact?

Chase

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yeah i replaced both of them because they were bad, they dont show any sings of exccessive heat, just get all dried up and get rusty.

im not sure how many rubber seals there is supposed to be, because the previous owner abused the front end quite abit, he only put back on what he thought he needed. so there could be some stuff missing.

i know that i have replaced the seal that goes directly behind the bearing, but i dont believe i have replaced the one on the stub shaft, i seem to remember it being worn out but i couldnt figure out how to get it off. its melted on there or something.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i was actualley just looking at the dana 35 pdf in the tech library, i have parts 36(slinger), 37(oil seal),38(spacer) in the garage, (not installed) but when i search for timken sbk4 they look different? but i also have those to.

i can see how sbk4 works, insert the bearing, with the rubber seal, then the small washer, then put the rubber ring on the big metal ring and install it.

is there just 2 different methods for this?

Last edited:

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yeah i wheel all seasons of the year, so if there happens to be mud, then i hit it. ive had water coming in through the doors. and pushed mud with the oil pan. i normally atleast regrease the front end before/after every trip, but it gets to be a pain to do all the bearings every weekend.

that does help a bit.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
If you have the metal backing plate already on your axleshafts use the parts like come in the SBK4 set. IF the metal plates aren't already pressed onto your axles, use these:

National - Axle Spindle Seal Part # 710453

National - Axle Spindle Seal Part # 710455

I used those parts cause I pulled the pressed on metal rings of off my shafts and couldn't find a good way to press them back together. The clip on the end of the axleshafts was kinda hard to get back in because of the spring action of those seals. I took the drivers side back apart the other day and the seal was so good I pulled the shaft out of the beam when I knocked the spindle loose. I just put it back together as one unit.:D

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals