• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

open diff?

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
i thought i had open differential,but swapping trucks in the driveway after work i let clutch out a little fast.left two distinct patches of rubber about 3 feet long.is this possible with open differential?

i can't make out the door sticker due to a bubble in the section with info,all i can get is b or 8 or 3 then 45,space or two then 4t.i still have the axle tag,got painted 2 years ago when i cleaned cover and applied liberal amount of gloss black spray paint.guess i could get the wire brush after the tag.

i believe it's a 3.45 gearing.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Yup, it's certainly possible to spin both tires with an open diff. From your description of the tag, it sounds open.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yup, it's certainly possible to spin both tires with an open diff. From your description of the tag, it sounds open.
thanks

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Here's a real easy way to tell if you have a working limited slip.

Jack ONE rear wheel off the ground. Put the transmission or transfer case in neutral and release the parking brake.

Now grab the wheel that's in the air and turn it. Does it take a lot of effort or not? A working LS will take quite a bit (but it will generally be possible). An open diff will be substantially easier.

Alternatively, you can lift both wheels in the air and leave the transmission in gear (or park for automatics).

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Here's a real easy way to tell if you have a working limited slip.

Jack ONE rear wheel off the ground. Put the transmission or transfer case in neutral and release the parking brake.

Now grab the wheel that's in the air and turn it. Does it take a lot of effort or not? A working LS will take quite a bit (but it will generally be possible). An open diff will be substantially easier.

Alternatively, you can lift both wheels in the air and leave the transmission in gear (or park for automatics).
thanks mike,are you talking about the breakaway test?30lbs to start rotation on a working l/s.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yup, that's a (simplified) breakaway test.

It can't distinguish a worn out LS from an open diff, but it sure can say if you have one that works.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yup, that's a (simplified) breakaway test.

It can't distinguish a worn out LS from an open diff, but it sure can say if you have one that works.
thanks again.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals