• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

HELP: clutch pedal position switch jumper on auto tran

meck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 extended c
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What is the purpose of the jumper between pins 1 and 2 on the clutch pedal position switch on a 1997 auto transmission 4r44e? This is the jumper between the gray/red and the light blue/yellow wires. I just replaced my engine with manual trans. with another engine and auto transmission. I wired this up based on the Ford wiring diagrams which show the jumper in place. The engine runs good but the transmission wouldn't shift out of second and throws a PO705. When I disconnected the jumper, everything works great, shifts great, and no code. I'm driving it with the gray/red and light blue/yellow wires disconnected but wondering if I'm going to be causing trouble doing so. Can anybody help me out here?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you don't get the P0705 code with jumper removed then I would leave it that way

That jumper should send 5volts to pin64 on the computer when transmission is in Park
But for some reason it is shorting out, drawing down the voltage when connected, so sets code P0705, transmission range(DTR) sensor problem

DTR is getting the correct voltage without jumper so just leave it off.
No it can't hurt anything

meck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 extended c
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I appreciate your response and the ones that you gave to questions I asked previously in other threads about trouble I was having with getting this transmission to shift. It's doing fine now without the jumper, but I still like to understand what's going on especially when it doesn't fit with the wiring diagrams. I guess it'll just have to stay a mystery. Thanks.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Test the grey/red wire at clutch connector, see if it has 5volts Key ON
It should

Lt Blue/yellow should run to pin 64 on computer and ALSO DTR sensor, there is a splice

Drawing here of the connection: https://www.justanswer.com/ford/4ik1j-ford-ranger-1997-ranger-extended-cab-2-3-manual.html

Inside a Clutch switch, not the connector :), pins 1/2, 3/4, 5/6 are matched pairs but disconnected when clutch pedal is up
When you press clutch pedal down 1/2 are now connected, as are 3/4 and 5/6, not to each other just each pair

You can test the grey/red at the DTR as well, it should have 5v, if so the clutch grey/red maybe bypass elsewhere, but check for the 5v with and without the jumper

Last edited:

meck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 extended c
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
RonD, a couple of days ago, I posted a "final report" in the "Other engine conversions" forum about my engine/trans change. In it, I noted your helpfulness and thanked you.

What got me thinking straight about why this tran. wouldn't shift right were two things. One was your comments about no power getting to the DTR and suggestions for testing it. The second was an alternate wiring diagram for the 4r44e (to the Ford ones I had been using) from DIAKOM-AUTO. In this second wiring diagram, they show the Light Blue/yellow wire running directly from PCM pin 64 to the DTR with 5V on it and no jumper anywhere to the gray/red wire. When I disconnected the jumper between that wire and the gray/red wire, I got 5V on the light blue/yellow and the trans shifted perfectly. When I tested the gray/red wire at some other points (like on the AIT and ECT), where it also runs, I got nothing. Further study shows that the gray/red is a "signal return" wire or ground back to the PCM and should not have power on it. So, when I put in the jumper between the light blue/yellow and the gray/red wires at the clutch pedal switch, as the Ford wiring diagram shows, I was effectively grounding the 5v so that it wasn't going to the DTR..

Again, thanks for your help.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
OOPS...........sorry for the goof

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals