• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

i hate my truck lately

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So every time I think I have it fixed I get the same issue and it's always at 5pm when I get off work. Never have issues in the morning at 730 on the drive to work. So here lately the truck didn't start at 5, cannot hear fuel pump turn on.. had to get picked up. The next day I try the basics of bypassing fuel pump relay, putting a jump pack on the battery (low voltage from trying to start it for 20 minutes), checked the inertia switch and its fine. Finally it started with some starting fluid in the throttle. Somehow this got the fuel pump to kick back on. let the truck run at idle for 1 hour at work. drove a few miles around work in the parking lot, started it up few times a day and had no issues. So I pick up my truck from work the other day and have drove it to work with no issues. started it up on lunch break at 2pm a few times with no issues. go to leave work at 5 and will not start. would start with starting fluid but wouldn't stay running. so had to get a ride home, again. today I tried it and still wont start and cannot hear the fuel pump turn on. I swear this truck is cursed. I am now at the point where I need to pull the bed and check voltage at the pump to see if it is getting power at the pump or if I need a new pump. anyone have any other ideas? heres the list of things I've done to it: new fuel filter, new gas filler neck, new IAC, new ignition coil pack, new spark plugs (wires look ok), new ETC sensor and sender, new thermostat, cleaned throttle body and MAF sensor, cleaned all the damn plug connectors under the hood and underneath that I can reach. running out of stuff to do other than the fuel pump itself.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Seems to me you should check fuel pressure on the back of the manifold or whatever it is on your engine, it's a little bit easier than removing the bed.

91stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
so just now I go to check it out and it still doesn't start. I can hear the fuel pump turn on. It doesn't seem as loud as normal when it does start but my battery is a little weak from trying to start it. I turn the key on and I have fuel coming out of the pressure fitting. normally it sprays gas up to the hood when its good. Anyone have any ideas?

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Check the fuel pressure with a gauge made just for that, you can rent them or buy one for about $20 from Harbor Freight which actually has good reviews

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Get a volt meter and test battery
12.8v = new battery
12.5v = 3/4 year old battery
12.3v = 5/6 year old battery and time to shop for battery sale

12.2v or lower is time for new battery right now.

Battery is ONLY used to start the engine
After engine starts Alternator supplies ALL the electrical power, at 13.5 to 14.9volts.
But while starting the Battery must supply at least 10volts<<<<, to keep spark, fuel pump and computer working

Starter motors usually pulls down battery voltage by 2 volts, unless battery is getting old then it can pull 2.5volts
Say battery is at 12.5v, when you activate starter motor you should have 10.5v at spark, fuel pump and computer.

If battery is older, or starter motor, it could get down to 10v, OR lower, and maybe a no start.

Any electric motor, like starter motor or fuel pump can get weak and draw/need more voltage than when newer, so can't perform like new.

Its simple to check battery, engine off, and then check battery engine running(when it starts :)), to make sure Alternator is working

Ewgoetz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Last edited:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

DRanger024

Supporting Member
Solid Axle Swap
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6-7” front maybe 3” rear
Total Drop
Tire Size
33x12.50-15
I had a similar problem with my truck in the mid 2000’s. Most times it would start, at least once a day it wouldn’t. But it would always go if it was push started. Sometimes swapping relays would make it go. I ended up replacing the fuel pump and never had a problem again.

They do weird stuff when the fuel pump starts to quit. Not sure why push starting it would make it go but it worked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

91stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
yeah I wish I could bump start it. my old truck was a 5 speed and this one is auto so bump starting is out of the question. So the battery shouldn't be the issue bc I put a heavy duty boost pack (800+CCA power) and still had no luck. I could hear the fuel pump turn on but no fuel pressure at the motor. My next step is to remove the fuel filter and check for rust debris in it. I know there is probably some rust build up in the tank from the old filler neck.

JerryC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Is it broken all of the time now, or still just after work?

Try cycling the key several times before starting, let the pump run then shutoff and do that a few times. That may let it build enough pressure at the fuel rail to start. You still have a problem but it may get you running for long enough to figure it out.

I think Dranger is right, it's the pump. Maybe a bad connection.

The boost pack, what is the voltage? I think fuel pump speed can be related to voltage, alternator running at 14+ volts might be giving the pump enough speed to work and 12v battery voltage may not be enough. Again, that is probably a bad pump.

My neighbor has a 02-04 Ranger and it eats fuel pumps, like three or four in the last 3 years. They've never been able to find the cause.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Similar issues with my 88 Bronco 2. It started fine in the morning and drove fine all day. Went back out to start it later, and it wouldn't start, same thing checked the shut off switch which at that time was really quirky anyhow hit a bump just right and it would trip...replaced the switch and still had the same issues usually after it was warm. Then came the issue where during acceleration it would stumble and lack power, kind of started getting the hint and turned out the high pressure pump in the frame rail was failing and becoming an intermittent issue...you could hear it run and prime initially when the key was on but wasn't running all the time when the engine was running...so it was time for a new pump. Haven't had any issues since then...well not fuel and starting anyhow, still burns and leaks oil HAHA!!! that's getting resolved this fall though :).

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
You're obviously leaving work too late in the day. If it starts fine in the mornings, then make sure you leave work before noon.

Problem solved.

This message composed solely of recycled electrons. Go green!

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
You're obviously leaving work too late in the day. If it starts fine in the mornings, then make sure you leave work before noon.

Problem solved.

This message composed solely of recycled electrons. Go green!

or check out what your co-workers are doing :annoyed:

fyre82

Firefighter
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9/4.0
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
9" on the 2000, 6" on the '88
Tire Size
265/75/16, 31x10.50x15
My credo
The memories of a man in his old age are the deeds of a man in his prime
Similar issue with my 88'. It would die, intermittently, on the road, prime the fuel a few times, off it would go. I did notice a lack of pressure at the schrader valve. I changed the filter, no joy. In the process of checking the pumps.

91stranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yeah so it has been starting here lately. Makes no sense unless the pump has a short somewhere that is cutting in and out or the pump is just going bad. I guess it is about 20 years old and probably the original. Time to take the bed off and start checking stuff. Strange how I never had this issue in the morning. Co workers wouldn't be the issue. We are a small dealership (people wise, size wise we are pretty big) truck is always locked anyway. tested the pump when it was running and I had 50-55 psi at the Schrader valve. Is that high? I figured it would be around 40-45.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals